Sentimental Strategies

The Following Week

John rubbed his face and sighed, "Sherlock, how can you be so bad at this?"

"I'm a sociopath, John. I've never had a relationship before and up until recently did not plan on involving myself in one. Married to my work, remember?"

"What about Janine?"

"Doesn't count. That was only for Magnussen. It'd be like saying Mary gained friendship experience by befriending Janine. And the tactics I used for her would not suit Adelaide."

The blogger pinched the bridge of his nose, "Then what are you wanting to do?"

Sherlock inhaled, "I'm not sure yet!! I've only got four more days to figure out how I'm going to move forward with Adelaide and all I know is that she is a romantic!" He threw up his hands, "I know nothing of romance! I seduced Janine, I did not romance or woo her!"

The detective flopped back into his chair with a huff. John tapped his foot and chuckled, "So you want to woo Adelaide? Like a proper gentleman would have?"

Sherlock gave him a tired look, "I'm certainly not going to approach her in a manner that would misrepresent me and my... sentiments for her."

"Then why don't you try something romantic out instead of trying to be overtly blunt about it?"

"Shouldn't she know exactly what my feelings towards her are, though?"

"Women can be pretty good about psychoanalyzing intents behind gestures and words when it comes to sentiment. She'll get it as long as it isn't deliberately vague and friendly. You don't want to slam her with a confession right on. If she's a romantic, and a shy one, then she'll probably enjoy flowers or little messages. Something classically romantic and sweet."

"So I should continue holding off on telling her about my feelings and instead use gestures of affection?"

"At least to start out. They'll pique her interest and then you can build up to a confession later. Besides, I thought you enjoyed a game?"

"This isn't a game-"

"I'm not saying it is. But maybe if you looked at this from a similar perspective. The goal is to woo Adelaide. Therefore you take certain steps to progress to that end."

He stared at the army doctor, "So... a game... plan..?"

"You might say that, yeah."

Sherlock placed his hands under his chin, "Or simply a strategy."

"Seriously, Mate, she likes you already. It shouldn't be that hard to win her over."

"But she already thinks I am against such sentiment, John!" He groaned and massaged his temples, "I know she believes those two unplanned kisses were friendly and nothing else. She doesn't want to believe otherwise."

"... Why..?"

The brunette exhaled, "Because she doesn't want to get her hopes up for someone who has already declared that they were against such relationships."

"Then this is the perfect opportunity to prove her wrong and give her that hope back, Mate!"

"But-"

"Sherlock, listen to me. She still has that hope inside of her because of those kisses. Don't make this more complicated than it is," John clapped Sherlock's shoulder, "And you've still got a few more days to come up with your strategy. So don't stress too much."

"I have to be-"

"You don't have to be anybody but yourself. Adelaide likes you for you. Don't act different because you want to woo her." Sherlock nodded slowly and absorbed John's words of wisdom.

The detective then raced to his laptop and started his research. John watched from his chair and prayed that his best friend would figure it out and be successful.

Thank you for reading!!