Firefight

"No, I don't suppose it would." Sherlock answered, leveling a cold stare at Jacob.

He tried to ignore the aching sensation in his chest as Adelaide looked up at him for support and assurance that everything would be okay. But he couldn't, and it stung when he noticed the beginnings of tears glint in her tear ducts.

Sherlock reluctantly lowered his gun and let Jacob drag Adelaide past him to Creighton. The man was now holding a vile of transparent, slightly yellowish liquid, "I chose this especially for Adelaide. It's mostly batrachotoxin from the Choresine beetles, mixed with a little a couple other things."

Adelaide struggled as Creighton revealed a dropper and dipped it into the vile, sucking up a good amount before taking it out. Jacob tsked, "It'll only get worse if you keep moving, Addie."

"I presume you are going to drop that solution onto her skin?" Sherlock deduced.

"Yes. I've tested this on a couple reptiles and the results should be even more eye catching with dear Adelaide as the subject," Creighton replied, "Such skin like hers will make a lovely canvas."

Sherlock glanced around the lab and noticed that one of Adelaide's dainty pumps had slipped off in the struggle. It laid less than a meter from his foot. Diversion. He had to get Adelaide away from Creighton and Jacob. Even if the two poisoners did get away, he had to make sure Adelaide was clear.

"I presume that it causes a rash to develop wherever it lands on the skin, then?"

"Yes, very good guess." Sherlock ignored the subtle insult and carefully reached out for the black heeled shoe. Then he dragged it closer and with the tip of his shoe picked it up and slowly lifted it to where he could grab it.

Adelaide resisted, whimpering, as Jacob pried one arm away from her body and held it out. Sherlock gripped the shoe and waited for the best angle before hurling it through the air. By a stroke of luck, it hit its intended target. The heeled shoe collided with Creighton's hands and he dropped the vile and dropper of serum. The glass objects shattered and released their aqueous contents- mostly onto Creighton himself, "GAH!"

Sherlock lifted his gun again and aimed, firing one round to further disorient his opponents. Jacob loosened his grip on Adelaide and she wriggled free as Sherlock ran up and pulled her out of the way and behind him, "Hands up! Both of you!" He demanded.

Both men were fuming and looked far from surrendering, though. Creighton's hands and up to his elbows were already turning hot red where the serum had splattered. Jacob grabbed his gun again and Sherlock ducked as he fired off two rounds, "At least the Yard should hear the ruckus and come running!!" Adelaide remarked loudly, against the swelling volume from the lab's residents.

Sherlock dug out his phone and slapped it into her hands, "Text John and tell him where we are!"

Adelaide fumbled a bit but managed to open a new message and send it off, "There!"

"Excellent, now-" He pressed her back onto the floor as another bullet ricocheted across the room and flew between them. He raised his gun again and gently pushed her back against the lab desks, "John, where are you when I need you!?" He murmured to himself.

Then around the desk came Jacob and Adelaide pulled his torch from her purse. Sherlock moved his head out of the way just enough so that she could chuck it full force towards Jacob. It didn't quite hit its mark, but it struck him square in the nose and mouth, "Ach!!"

Sherlock swung out his leg and tripped Jacob, reaching out and claiming his gun as it dropped from his hands. As Jacob hit the floor Sherlock smirked, "Not much investigating at all required, Mister Powell."

He knocked him out with a swift blow to the neck, "Not much at all."

Thank you for reading!!