Chapter 11

"Mathew what are you doing here?" I asked him as I skated up beside his table. "I was just in the neighborhood and I heard the food here was to die for," he replied playing with the corner of a napkin. I squinted my eyes at him

        "The food here is just short of being cafeteria food. What's the real reason?" I asked again.

        He sighed a little "I just wanted to see you."

        I smiled "Why's that?"

        "I wanted to check on you, to make sure you're really okay." I knew immediately he was talking about last night. I tried as hard as I could to push the thought from my mind but I couldn't. Mathew must have seen my face fall because he said "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you... Felicia I feel like there's something you're not telling me about it. Did you know the guy who did it?" I looked at the floor, which was enough for Mathew to get the hint. "You did." He stated more than asked. "You only knew me, Molly and Conner though." I looked up at him waiting for him to realize the truth but secretly hoping he wouldn't. Seconds later realization spread across his face. "Felicia answer me right now. Did Conner do this to you?" He asked me grabbing my wrist. I choked as a heavy weight was lifted off my stomach. Tears streamed down my face faster and faster, more and more. I collapsed right there on the floor my skates causing me to hit my butt on the hard tile.

            Mathew and my manager were beside me in seconds. Mathew was cradling me trying to calm me down while my manager yelled. He kept yelling and yelling, I couldn't process any of his words though they all seemed to be in a different language, I had a feeling today would be my last day working here. Mathew held me until the tears turned into silent calls for help. He held my chin and pulled it up so my face was just inches from his. "I'm going to get your stuff for you. Will you be okay alone for a minute?" I nodded and then put my head back in my hands.

            I heard Lenny walking up before he actually sat next to me "Hey Licia." He said rubbing my upper arm. "I heard what happened when Mathew asked you... Also you got fired for disturbing the customers... If you need a place to stay or anything just you let me know. Don't feel like any of this is your fault... I better get back to work before they have me too." He gave me a quick hug and left. 

         Mathew came back a few minutes later with my black shoulder bag and helped me to take my skates off. It seemed like time and time again Mathew was taking care of me, while I helplessly sat there like an unknowing child. After my skates where off he helped me to his car and let me cry on his shoulder in the passenger seat.