Chapter 2 - Expensive

"Honestly! I always, always, and always get jealous every time over Suneo's bragging! Seriously!" Nobita muttered angrily, continuing so until he's in front of the house.

"Oh well. I guess I ask Doraemon for help and... Wait, no. No matter how big Doraemon's pocket may be, there's no way he could have a Matsutake mushroom picking mountain in it..."

"I'm home," Nobita greeted as he went inside.

"Welcome back," Nobita's Mom, Tamako Nobi, greeted as she wipes the floor.

"Mom. I'm begging you! Even if it's once in my lifetime... Please take me Matsutake mushroom picking!" Nobita pleads.

Tamako's eyes bulged in surprise. She never heard such request before.

Truthfully, picking Matsutake mushroom is quite an ordeal. Not to mention expensive.

If you want to pick the mushrooms by yourselves, you had to take a trip to the Japanese red pine forest mountains and prepare a certain amount to pay the landowner in order to let them harvest those mushrooms.

Not to mention that those mushroom's regular top producers are in Nagano, Iwate and Yamaguchi prefectures, so it'll took a whole day or two, just to pick a mushroom and eat it.

Unfortunately they don't have enough money for that.

Trying to keep her voice steady, Tamako says, "You know, there's a saying long time ago, 'Matsutake smell, Shimeji taste.' Shimeji mushrooms have always taste better."

She then went back to what she's been doing. Cleaning the floor.

Nobita can only hung his head low, face marred with disappointment. He somewhat knew that it's impossible to do so, even as a family.

After all, it's indeed was expensive.

***

"One, two, three, four, one, two, three, four..." Doraemon is basically doing a bicycle movement as an exercise. He needs to do so to build himself an appetite.

Nobita then opened the door and said "I'm back..."

"Oh. Welcome back," Doraemon greeted, before doing back to what he was doing.

"Your appetite in this weather is really bothersome, isn't it? You can get fat so easily. After all, everything is delicious in the fall, even yaki-imo," Doraemon said as he cycled his chubby legs back and forth.

Nobita can only sigh before he laid himself down on the tatami floor.

Doraemon stopped his cycling, sitting up as he said, "What's wrong? Why do you look so down?"

Nobita then muttered, "Mom said Shimeji mushroom taste good..."

"Huh?" Doraemon was confused.

"Even though, at least once... I wanted to taste some Matsutake mushrooms..."

"Well that's an easy fix!" Doraemon said.

"What do you mean?" Nobita asked, still laying down.

"I can take out the Gourmet Tablecloth and we can just order some Matsutake dishes with it. How is that?"

"But that's not what I want!" Nobita exclaimed, sitting up.

"Then what do you want? You said you wanted to taste some Matsutake mushrooms, right?"

"I do! But I want to pick them up and eat there just like Suneo did!"

Doraemon can only said, "Oh, oh..." in stutter.

A knock came at the door.

"Hey, can I come in?" A voice then came. It was Nobisuke, Nobita's Dad.

"Sure, Dad," both of them replied.

Nobisuke then came, closing the door before sitting down huffing.

"Honestly! I always get so jealous!" Dad muttered. His expression matches the shirt he is wearing.

Green with envy.