{62} Coming Down and Rising Up

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, sure. Are you okay?" I asked, returning my glance to his face. He only nodded in response, making me more worried. 

~

~

~

The coffee shop Katsu chose was rather sweet. It was a little shop owned by an elderly lady named Rachael called Rachael's Refills. The aroma of coffee filled the air along with the sweet scent of pastries. 

I ordered a chocolate croissant with the same drink that Katsu ordered, a hot caramel latte, which tasted surprisingly good. 

Katsu stared into his drink for a moment before looking up at me. 

"None of your host friends followed, right? Not even your sister?" He asked. I shook my head in response.

"No, I told them not to. You're starting to scare me though." 

"It's just- I don't want anyone else to know. You're kind of the only person I could trust to tell without having to worry about it getting around the entire school, especially not back to Ami."

"Is something wrong with Ami?" I asked, clutching my drink. I didn't like Ami, not after the stunt she pulled, but I never wanted her to get hurt either. 

"Nothing's wrong with her. I was looking through some of my parent's paper's the other day, trying to find my birth certificate for an application. But I found something- something I didn't ever think I would find. It was papers from a court. Skye, they were adoption papers." 

Despite Katsu's distress, I felt my worry fade away. Adoption. That's way better than anything I was thinking could've happened to Ami or Katsu. I suddenly remembered what we were talking about, hoping my relief didn't make Katsu think his problems weren't real. 

"For who?" I asked, realizing that he never really specified. 

"Ami. I always knew we didn't look exactly alike -her eyes have screamed 'american' since she was a baby- but I just thought that it was something with genetics," he said, trailing off slightly. 

"She was adopted all the way from America?" I asked, trying not to become irrationally worried.

"Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why. Her birth parents, what were their names?" he began, looking towards the ceiling as if it held the answers that managed to escape his brain. "It was something along the lines of James or Joseph Morkian and maybe Claire something?" 

I felt my breathing stop as my blood grew cold. 

James Morkian. If it's who I think it is- Our father had another child?

I felt my stomach begin to do flips, but these flips were nothing like the excited, anxious ones earlier. No, these were nauseating, frightened flips. I placed my hand over my mouth and stood up as quickly as possible, my chair scraping across the wooden floor as I began towards the restrooms. 

~

Katsu had followed me towards the bathroom and now stood waiting outside.

I heard another series of knocks over the pounding in my ears, but I couldn't bring myself to get up yet. The tears on my face had dried and my hands had stopped shaking minutes ago, but the pounding of my heart or the rush of my breathing never stopped.

I needed proof. 

I stood quickly, my stomach not agreeing with my motions, and went to the sink to splash some water in my face. It was a standard bathroom, personalized with pictures of coffee and the owner, but ultimately filled with a familiar whiteness.