Outsmart

"Humans are starting to break into giants' homes because they're able to, I guess. Inflation is fucking them over at the moment so this is their way of dealing with rent or house prices." He doesn't look up from his phone as he reads what must be an article to a girl, who I assume is his girlfriend or spouse.

"Could that affect us?" The giantess strokes her reddish hair.

"I doubt it," the giant looks up to make eye contact with the woman. "There's no way one could get in, we'd notice. Our house is too new to find soft spots to get into, so I'd be really surprised if a human got in here."

"What if one is in here anyway?"

"I won't worry about it until we have actual evidence there's one here. If we can get some, then be as scary as you can. It'll go somewhere else."

It? I'm not an 'it', I could at least be called a 'they'. I can't believe they're finding out about this. I have no money, I have barely any access to food, and I still have to find ways to get to school and back before summer vacation ends. I'm fuck outta luck and now I'm being stalked down by TWO giants.

At least they're taking a dumb approach. There's nothing scary about a giant if they can't physically hurt you. Since we have limited rights compared to them, I, like most humans, am pretty unfamiliar with the environment and movement of giants, but that doesn't give me more of a reason to quiver at shaking footsteps or curl into a ball when they yell. Until I make physical contact with one of these two people, I have nothing to fear. Unfortunately, because of the risk of contact if I get caught, I still have to lay low. It'll just be easier for me than someone more anxious. 

I continue my plan for a few days, but it's getting increasingly harder as these two idiots walk around quietly, feeling the walls and looking under baskets and in boxes, anything laying around. I stand against the wall next to a cabinet I can slip away in, wondering if they even know what they'll do once they catch me. Until I'm in actual, physical danger, I won't give them what they want, and assaulting or murdering anyone, even a human, is a criminal offense. They're not that crazy about catching me, are they? I feel heavy, but lighter than usual, footsteps. I back up slowly as the male giant walks by, temporarily making eye contact with me. He walks past still and I slip behind the cabinet, just in time for him to do a double take and be met with no one.

-

"We have evidence now, basically." Seth, the male giant, tells his girlfriend, Laurie. "Yesterday, I saw something go behind the cabinet. It was too big to be an insect."

"Okay, and..?" she asks.

"What else do I need to say? I know it's not much, but there's no way it was anything else. I wasn't even looking for a human, I just saw one." He tussels with his brown hair.

"What did it look like?" The question that settles it. I peek my head around the wall to get a better sound quality.

"Dark skin..." shit. "Black hair, curly, I think..." shit, again. "and I'm pretty sure it was wearing a yellowish color?" I zip up my yellow hoodie and sigh.

"Boy or girl?" Laurie asks.

"I don't know. Still, I wasn't convinced and now I am. If you think you see it, tell me." I'm still an it, I guess.

"Do we have to be scary? I'd hate to terrify the thing."

"I can't think of a better way to drive it out. Just be loud, intimidating, pretend you hate humans," Pretend? "All that."

"Sure thing." The two stand up and begin walking around the house again, much louder.

-this is a full story now by the same name, yellow cover, but this is only a section!!-