Confident (Part 1)

-refer to TransTubes™ chapter for any confusion-

(Through text)

Caylin: Can you take me to second period? Room 72

Andrea: Sorry, I take someone else to their period across the school and my class is about halfway

Caylin: it's fine I'll find someone else, ilysm xx

Andrea: sorry again :(, love you too xx

(Out of text)

Great, now I need to actually use my TransTubes app. The hallway is pretty empty except for a few, so only one name appears, Juan. I see the person whose face matches the icon closest and tap, to which I see him pull out his phone in surprise, so I wave my arms to catch his attention. I open the door and he very slowly lowers his hand to the ground.

"Sorry," Juan begins, voice at nearly a whisper as though I'm not used to the volume giants usually have. "I've never actually carried a human before."

"Oh, you're fine," I respond, climbing on just as slow. I notice him twitch as I get on, and give him the okay to stand back up. He cups me in both hands and walks briskly, but cautiously. "So have you never used TransTubes before?" I ask.

"No, I'm new," he replies, remaining quiet. "I've never lived in a mixed area or been in a mixed school until now. This is my first day."

"That's fine," I say. "It was even scarier for me on my first day. You don't need to be self-conscious or anything."

"Bit late for that," he chuckles half-heartedly. "I can't help but feel blocky and out of place. I don't want to be intimidating to other people."

"I'm not intimidated, you've got a soft personality. You can be more confident in yourself, it won't hurt if it's what you want."

"I just need to get used to it." Juan drops me off and walks away in a style as to leave the quietest footsteps ever. He'll be fine.

-

After a few days of Juan taking me to class and us talking, you can tell he's warming up a bit. He talks at a normal volume now, walks precariously still but with less tension and tells me about other humans he talks to. It's nice to know he's getting more used to this.

"But then this girl makes the obvious joke like, 'do you play basketball?' So I'm like 'No, do you play mini golf?'" We laugh in unison at Juan's utter mess of a joke.

"See? It's awkward on both sides, so there's no reason to feel weird around humans," I say.

"Yeah, I'm getting better I think. To be completely honest, I don't know why I was as worried as I was," he admits. "I'm only stressed about carrying you now, but that makes sense, right?"

"Yeah, dropping me would be bad, but people are rarely dropped, it's like a one in a million thing."

"That makes me feel better. See ya, Caylin," he says, dropping me off for class.

-

The next few weeks go slowly with exams looming in everyone's heads. Juan has increasingly become comfortable in his state, and I can easily tell he's proud of being a giant, something he'd never admit a month ago. He always treats me properly, though, and I never feel unsafe around him. Well, that's about to change.

I always step out of the tube right before he gets me to speed up the process, but instead of a hand being lain down for me to step onto, I'm swept up in a fist and automatically panic. I feel myself being dropped into a shirt pocket, where the movement of the giant carrying me makes it nearly impossible to find balance.

When I finally throw my arms over the rim of the pocket and hoist myself up, I adjust my glasses and reasonably  shout "What the fuck was that?!"

"I had to leave class late today, there's no time to be careful," Juan explains, never looking down to me.

"I don't care if you're late, I thought I was going to die." He laughs at what I said, even though I wasn't kidding. "I'm pissed, I hope you know that."

"You'll get over it." He swipes me out of his pocket again and sets me down, quickly going away. My arm was bruised from the way I was handled. Juan from a month ago would be terrified of seeing that.