Chapter 15

Alice’s POV

She was gorgeous!

I didn’t have to crane my head too much to look at her pretty heart-shaped face as she was just a bit over average height. No, scrap that. Not “pretty face”. Beautiful. Astonishing. Worthy to have her photo taken and put in a museum next to other equally splendid exponents. Everything about her symmetrical features screamed perfection: from the curve of her lips, through the straight nose, all the way to a pair of mesmerizing multicolored eyes.

I reached a hand up to fix my hair. I was sure it seemed unruly, unlike the playfully messed up, silky strands that framed the newcomer’s face.

“You must be Alice.” She extended her arm in a greeting and smiled.

“Yeah, that’s me,” I replied, shaking her hand. “Won’t you come in?” I added after a pause, realizing we were still in the doorway.

She moved past me and her smile widened as she saw my boyfriend.

“Caden,” she greeted him with a brief hug.

A hug?

“I’m not late, am I?”

“No, you’re right on time,” he responded with a grin.

“Why don’t you take a seat?” I offered, pointing to the sofa which was furthest from where Caden usually sat.

She placed her butt – just as shapely as the rest of her – to the seat I’d suggested and I couldn’t help but frown as Caden sat on the couch in the spot closest to the girl. They immediately started chatting about the Academy as if they were taking off from a previous conversation.

“I’ll bring some snacks,” I muttered, not expecting an answer from either of them.

“Do you need any help?” Cade asked, surprising me pleasantly; I really thought he’d ignore what I’d said.

“No, I got it,” I stated with a slight smile on my face.

But my smile disappeared when I heard them laugh at something just as I entered our tiny kitchen.

Why hadn’t Caden told me how this girl looked?

He’d spoken so many times about her yet not once did he mention her appearance. It had always been “Galya said this” or “Galya thinks that” or “Galya drew this and sketched that”; it had been about art and the Academy.

Maybe he didn’t think her looks were something important; maybe he had not noticed them.

But how can he not notice such a beauty?

I bet she had boys chasing after her all the time. Girls too, probably.

Maybe I was putting too much into it but…

I sighed.

But I could not ignore Caden’s past.

Before he met me, no - before we got together, he used to jump from one night stand to another. He’d been with so many girls, I dared not ask him for a number. Not that he’d remember them all.

What a reassuring thought: he wouldn’t remember them all!

I’ve always known my boyfriend was much more experienced than me when it came to these things but I never put too much thought into it. Since that time we kissed in my aunts’ kitchen, he’d never had eyes for another girl. Besides, I was enjoying the benefits of his experience each time we got intimate.