I wasn’t going to volunteer because I didn’t want attention and I knew that plenty of others did want it.

We got through the majority of the song with only small disagreements but then we got to the bridge of the song.

The bridge was the songs longest solo for this song that showed off your range, it was the shining moment of this performance. You also got your own part in the chorus. A few girls had been waiting to try to grab this part.

When Michelle asked who wanted it, Liz, Stacy and a girl named Kira spoke up.

“Which one of us would be best for the performance?” Stacy asked the group.

I sighed internally. I didn’t think any of them would be great, none of them had the range.

Judging by the silence in the room, others agreed with me. A few girls looked at each other, no one wanted to say it.

“Well honestly,” Natalie spoke up. “I don’t think any of you can hit those notes and still sound good.”

The three girls all shouted out in defense, I just wanted to cover my ears.

“You’re just saying that because you’re mad at me.” Liz exclaimed.

“I can hit the notes!” Stacy cried.

“Besides, no one else wants it!” Kira protested.

“Does anyone even agree with you?” Liz asked Natalie.

A bunch of girls raised their hands including me once I saw others do so.

“Then who should get it?” Stacy asked.

“For the sake of the performance, I think it should be Rainah.” Michelle said, looking at me.

My throat went dry as I looked around the room. The three girls glared at me. I took a shaky breath and looked away from them. I didn’t want this part because it would give these three girls one more reason to hate me.

“What do you think?” Natalie asked me.

“I-“ I started to talk but Liz stopped me.

“I’m sick of everyone feeling sorry for her just because her brother stabbed himself. He probably couldn’t stand being around her either! I’m just as good of a singer as she is!” Liz was furious.

“I’m tired of you bringing my brother into everything.” I said quietly. I wanted to cry but I wasn’t going to, not here, not now.

“It’s not like you’re going to do anything about it.” Liz sneered at me. “We’ve already covered that you will go cry to your daddy.”

“I want the solo.” I told Natalie, choosing to ignore Liz.

“All in favor?” Natalie asked the group.

Everyone raised their hands except Liz and Stacy.

“Then it’s settled.” Michelle said just before the bell rang.

Liz and Stacy glared at me as they got their stuff and left. Natalie just shot me a grin. To my surprise, Michelle approached me.

“Those girls can’t sing, I’m glad you got the part.” She smiled at me. “Don’t pay any attention to Liz, she’s just a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum because she’s not getting her way.”

“Thank you.” I smiled at her friendliness.

Will came back in as the last people left, he shut the door behind him and locked it.