Episode Nineteen: Dishonest Eyes

Zenshi Gardener stood in fear, watching as the different figures appeared within the red void. The one to the left was a male with slick, black hair. He had a cigarette in his mouth and proceeded to blow black smoke towards the warrior. She coughed, her eyes red and watering.

Zaru called down to her and shook his head, "You're pitiful, you know that? You belong on a street corner, not the Shogun of a squad of mercenaries."

Zenshi turned away from the mirage, "No! That's not true! I know I'm a slut, but I take my job seriously too!"

"Oh really?" Zenshi backed away as a puff of smoke revealed another mirage – this one of Eclipse, "Au contraire, Zenshi, it seems that you're more concerned with trying to ruin relationships!"

"That's not..." Zenshi's backward momentum was stopped by a third being that pushed her back towards the center. She looked back to see her apprentice – Beatrice.

Trish folded her arms, shaking her head, "Let's not forget that she loves to lie. I reckon that's why she never wears pants. If she did, they'd constantly be lit with flame!"

"I'm...I'm gonna tell you...eventually...I just..." Zenshi clenched her fists, looking towards the ground, "I..."

Higgins cackled, "What sugah, don't want me to see how fuckin' pathetic y'all are!?"

Gardener felt tears fall from her face as the mirages began to grow, their eyes changing to a lavender color with a red pyramid floating in the mix. Eclipse laughed once again, "Aww, is the little baby gonna cry! Crybaby cry! Crybaby cry!"

Zaru scoffed, "To think I actually work under you. You're a joke!"

Beatrice smirked, "If y'all so mad, then why dontcha do somethin' about it, sugah?"

Zenshi shook her head, holding onto it with both of her hands. She needed to break free. She knew this was all just a dream. It wasn't real, and yet...It felt too close to reality for her to handle. The mirages began to shift, finally showing their true forms.

They were all the woman with the red hair and scar over her left eye. Yet this time, the puss and gore that used to reside within the eye were gone, replaced with a hollow opening. All three figures opened their mouth and let out a piercing scream that shook the entire void. Gardener shielded her body, though she was unable to use her Prowess to protect herself. Finally, after her feet began to slide backwards, she found herself unable to stay planted and fell backwards into the abyss, screaming into the void where no one could hear her.

+++

"Zenshi!" The Shogun quickly looked up, not realizing that she had been staring at the ground the entire time. L was now in her field of view, holding onto her shoulders. She looked worriedly at her friend, "Bist du in ordnung? Are you okay?"

"Huh?" Zenshi nodded, "I-I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

L pointed towards her own eye, "Umm..."

Gardener tilted her head slightly, then noticed the red energy that had started emanating from her body. She held her head, closing both of her eyes. After a few moments, the dark energy started to subside. Okay, so that works. Good to know, she thought to herself. When the samurai looked back up towards L, both of her eyes were back to their normal lime shade.