Chapter 29: Problem (Pt. 2)

["Oh my god, what do we do?" I start to panic even more. My mind is on overload and I'm sure Zayn's is the same way. "I don't know! Go to the bathroom or something? Holy shit, I think they're coming over here," Zayn rambles on. "Uh, get under the table!" he adds.

"What! Under the table?" I protest, not wanting to sit under the table in a miniskirt and wedges. "They are about to walk this way do you have a better idea?" Zayn says and his eyebrows furrow in stress. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures...]

Zayn's POV

-----------------

Sure, there isn't a plethora of restaurants in Covington, but what are the odds that Cole would show up to the one I picked for Cora and I. Just when I think things are going smooth, life kicks me in the ass. With Cora under the table and Cole walking towards it, I figure I have about 20 seconds to think of a story to tell him. 

I desperately focus my eyes on anything in the room, anything but Cole. Luckily he hasn't seen me yet so I still have time, but the only thing that comes to my mind is the amount of money I would spend right now to disappear into the floor. I pull out my phone and pretend to be texting even though the screen is black. It's not like Cole can see it. 

Cole, Serena, and the hostess creep closer and my heart skips a beat when I realize she's taking them to the next room. I hold my breath and hope that's exactly what she's doing. The hostess takes a hard left instead of walking straight towards me and I feel a glimpse of hope rise in stomach, only to instantly disappear as I watch Serena point her skinny little finger in my direction. So close. 

Serena pulls on Cole's shirt to get his attention and direct him straight to me. Even with a bit of guidance Cole still fails to see me at first, but when he does his face lights up and he makes a beeline straight to my table. I cringe as he steps closer and Serena trails behind him. I cross my fingers and hope to god this goes smoothly. 

"Malik! What on earth are you doing here...alone?" Cole says when he reaches the table. I lean both my elbows on the table top and pull myself closer to it as if it would hide Cora any better. Cole steps closer to me and hold out his hand for some weird high-five handshake thing. I couldn't have been any more awkward trying to return it without moving my bottom half. 

"I, uh, I'm actually waiting for someone," I tell him. I bite my tongue and think of how pathetic I look sitting here alone. Which I then remind myself I'm not actually alone. Having Cole think I'm alone is better than the alternative. 

"Oh! Is this person you're waiting for your date? Who is-" Cole starts and I see his face light up in a revelation. I can almost hear his thoughts and I know exactly who's name is about to come out of his mouth. "Marissa! You're waiting for Marissa aren't you?" Cole says. He gives me a look of congratulations. I can only imagine what Cora is thinking right now. 

Serena just stands behind Cole and doesn't say a word. However, she keeps a steady smile for most of the conversation. I figure I should play along. I've already dug myself in a pretty deep hole anyway. 

"Yeah, how'd you guess?" I ask with a hint of sarcasm just to joke with him. Cole just nods his head and shrugs his shoulders. I keep thinking he's going to turn around and leave but he keeps talking. Not to mention both the hostess and Serena -and me- are waiting for this conversation to end. 

"So how late is she?" Cole asks. By the sound of his voice it doesn't seem like he's planning to end the conversation anytime soon. I just keep my poker face on and ride it out. "Well, not too late just about-" I gasp and almost choke on my own spit when I feel Cora's hand feel up my inner thigh. I force myself to cough to play it out. "- sorry, she's just about 10 minutes late, nothing too big," I reply.