Chapter 24: Unraveled

Thanks for reading :) - C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zayn's POV

------------------

Mrs. G calls out the list of names for the third time as we settle into our seats on the bus. She can't hide her enthusiasm very well as she calls out each name. Mrs. G finally got the "okay" from the school board to take her art class on a field trip to one of the local art museums and today is the day her dream is coming true.

Cora and I still haven't talked since the party and it's the first time I've seen her since when she hops up the steps onto the bus. I'm sitting in second row to the front and I have to pull out my phone to make it seem like I don't even notice her. She hesitates for a second in front of my seat but continues walking towards the back. 

Marissa is last on the bus, being the newest student in the class, and promptly takes a seat in the row across from mine. I give her a friendly smile. I haven't seen her since the party either. 

Mrs. G proudly speaks through the microphone about how exciting the day is going to be. A couple students from the back groan in response. I slide my feet into the row in the middle of the bus to face Marissa. This also allows me to take a quick peak to see where Cora sat. She's about 4 rows behind us with her eyes on me and Marissa. I pretend like I don't notice.

"I lost you at the party the other night, did you make it home okay?" I ask Marissa as she turns to the middle isle as well. "Yeah your friend Dylan kept me company and even got me a ride home. He's a pretty cool guy. Not as cool as you obviously," Marissa bats her eyes and pushes her hair behind her ears. I can tell she's trying to flirt and I'll have to be careful not to lead her on. I've got to make it clear to her somehow that I'm not actually interested but it's not like I can just say "hey I don't actually like you I'm just trying to make the girl I actually like feel jealous". I just smile and continue on about Dylan. Maybe I can focus her attention towards him instead. 

-

The museum is about 20 minutes away and as we arrive, Mrs. G bounces up from her seat and hands us each a map when we exit the bus. We gather in a circle outside the museum as Mrs. G explains some guidelines. 

"Okay now students, you are going to be split into groups of four. Every person in your group has a map but one person will be given a scavenger hunt guide. On each guide there are lists of hints to different paintings, sculptures, or pieces of art you have to find. The first group to meet in the lobby with a picture of each painting wins 6 points of extra credit! Now split evenly in groups of four!" Mrs. G explains the rules and the students scatter around to find a group. 

"You want to stick with me?" I ask Marissa and she silently nods. I'm surprised to see Cora and some sophomore guy I'm pretty sure I saw passed out at the party walk up to us. "You don't mind if we join you right?" Cora asks directly at me. I turn to Marissa who looks hesitant to accept but I answer anyway. "No we don't mind. As long as you can navigate yourself around the building pretty well," I cock a smile towards Cora and the guy standing next to her. He doesn't seem interested in any of this and pretends to be reading the map. 

"I've been here plenty of times, this should be easy," Cora smirks and starts walking up the steps to the museum. The guy whose name I don't know follows behind her and Marissa and I close behind. There are only two other groups so our odds of winning are pretty good. I've been to the art museum several times before and if Cora has too, then she's right, this should be easy. 

We regroup in the lobby and take a moment to read the first hint. This piece of art is the newest addition to the mode of art invented by Nicephore Niepce. Cora looks like she's in deep thought and the sophomore doesn't even read the hint at all. To be honest, I couldn't be more clueless. "Photography, Nicephore Niepce invented photography. The answer is probably whatever was most recently added to the photography room," Marissa speaks up.