Chapter 8: Unplanned

Zayn's POV

--------------------------------------

"ZAYYYN! Zayn! Wake up Zayn!" My sister jumps on the bed and screams in my ear. I feel her arms push against my back and start to shake me. "I'm up, Im up!" I turn around and push her off. She cocks her head in a smirk and skips out of my room. Bitch. 

I start to notice the headache pounding in my head in regards to last night. Ugh, I hate hangovers. Luckily, I can smell the homemade eggs and bacon my mom usually makes on Saturday mornings. 

I drag myself out of bed and and check my phone. I have a text from Liam. 

Thanks for leaving me at the party asshole - Liam

I should probably be a bit more concerned but I'm not. He'll get over it by Monday. I slip a pair of baggy sweatpants on over my boxers. I look at my shirtless self in the mirror and examine my tattoos. When I got my first one, my mom almost had a heart attack. She warmed up to the idea of my tattoos the more I came home with them. I admit I might have gotten a bit carried away with them all but I like them, so who cares? 

When I get downstairs my mom and Waliyha are already eating and I pull up a chair at the table. My mom seems extra quiet this morning and Waliyha has a weird look on her face - the one she uses when I get in trouble. It's a sort of satisfied look, which worries me.

I say good morning but my mom stays silent. I look at her and hope she'll look up from her plate at me, but she doesn't. "Did I do something wrong?" I sarcastically ask.

She gets up to clear off her plate, which she hasn't finished, and then turns to face me in a sigh of frustration. "I found a pack of cigarettes in your jacket. I know you hate it when I snoop around in your stuff, but maybe try to hide it a bit more if you don't want me to find them" she finally speaks up.

I groan and roll my eyes.  Why didn't I hide them? I must have forgotten when I got home last night. My mom has found cigarettes in my room before and even sat me down for a long talk, but I continued to smoke anyway. It's not that I wouldn't be able to stop if I wanted to, I've just never tried. 

"Can we maybe not have this conversation in front of Waliyha?" I ask and scoop a fork full of eggs into my mouth. "What? Why can't I hear it?" Waliyha complains. "Because you're an annoying brat and I don't want you to" I snap at her and my mom shoots me a warning and a disapointed "Zayn" espcapes her lips.

I decide I'm not very hungry anymore so I throw the rest of my food in the trash. "I'm going for a walk" I say before running up to my room to put a shirt and some black jeans on. I hurry out the door before my mom or Waliyha can say another word.

-

It's a pretty hot day out and there's barely any clouds to offer shade. I'm wearing a grey tank top that shows off my tattoos pretty well. Not knowing where to go, I just walk in the direction of school. 

I pass a gas station on the way and decide to run in to buy a pack of cigarettes, since my mom took my other. After I make my purchase, I walk back outside and recognize a familiar car parked at one of the gas pumps. A wave of annoyance rushes through me as I see Cole Fallon step out of the car. He immediately sees me and makes a bee line in my direction. I try to pretend like I don't see him and walk in the other way.

"Hey Malik" I stop in my footsteps and huff out a groan before turning around. "What do you want Fallon?" I pull out a cigarette and place it between my teeth. I notice him roll my eyes as I do so. "I want you to leave my sister alone, you hear?" he says as I light the cigarette. I know he hates them and I'm a bit amused by his reaction as I puff out a cloud of smoke in his face.