Chapter 2: New School, New People

Hey hey! Dont forget to vote! thanks - C

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up in a hot sweat on top of my comforters. Apparently the summer heat is continuing. I look at my clock and notice I woke up a half hour before my alarm. Great, now what? I consider going back to bed but I am already awake and feel pretty gross drenched in my sweat. A shower sounds pretty nice. 

I head into the bathroom and stare at myself in the mirror. My brown wavy hair looks like a rats nest. There are bags under my eyes, confirming my not-so-gentle sleep last night. I turn the water to just the right temperature and step in. I can't help but play out different scenarios of events that could happen at school. I hope I at least make it to art class today. 

When I get out of the shower, I still have a bunch of time to spare. I decide to try and make myself look more presentable then yesterday. I plug in my hair dryer and my straightener right next to it. I grab the bag of makeup sitting on the vanity in my room and bring it into the bathroom for better lighting. I apply a basic foundation, some mascara, and a bit of blush. Not too overwhelming, but just enough for my liking. And hopefully someone else's. After I dry my hair, I use my straightener to curl big bouncy waves into my hair. My hair parts in the middle and I have natural waves but they are quite small. I like the way big waves look on me. 

"Cora! Hurry up, I have to pee!" I hear Cole yell from the opposite side of the door. He lets out a muffled groan, letting me know he wasn't kidding and bangs on the door a couple times. "I'll be out in a minute! Just be patient!" I yell back, taking more time with my hair then I really need. 

When I finally open the door, Cole is standing close enough for me to smell his morning breath. "Ew, brush your teeth," I tease him. 

I return back to my room to scavenge through my closet for an outfit. I remember the sweat I woke up in earlier that morning and choose something I won't get too hot in. I pull out a pair of jean shorts that are styled to look like they have been ripped a bunch, a black tank top, a plaid button down shirt which I tie around my waist, and my favorite pair of white converse. I've got to admit, I don't look too bad. 

After I spray a bit of perfume to complete my look, I head to the kitchen as the smell of my mom's pancakes fill my nostrils. "Morning mom!" I greet, sitting down at the table just as she pushes a plate in front of me. "Morning Cor," she smiles back and fills my glass of orange juice to the brim. Cor is the nickname she gave me, even though Cora is a short enough name itself. Only a few people call me Cor though - My mom, dad, Cole, and Kenna. I don't mind it but I don't see much of a need to shorten my name by just one letter. 

"Where's your brother?" my mom asks, holding another plate of breakfast intended for Cole. "He should be down soon," I tell her.

Like clockwork, the familiar sound of my brother's feet running down the stairs rings through my ears. Carrying his backpack on one shoulder, he quickly grabs an apple from the table and heads towards the door. "Whoah, wait a second. Where do you think you're going?" my mom stops him. "Mom, I told you! I'm picking Serena up to take her to school," Cole groans with the door halfway open. "You never told me that! You promised to drive Cora and Kenna to school today!" my mom whines, trying to play the guilt card on him. It never works. "It's like a 10 minute walk!" he argues back. I quickly intervene before things get ugly. "It's fine mom, we can walk," I tell her. I don't mind walking anyway. 

-

I wait for 5 minutes before Kenna finally comes strolling out of her house. She's wearing short jeans shorts with a white sheer blouse on top. Her hair is perfectly straightened, bringing out her dark highlights in her rather blond hair. "Don't you look hot this morning," I joke. "Trying to impress a certain junior boy?"