𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

"Jax didn't kill because he wanted to," Magnus continued, snapping Jax away from his thoughts. "He couldn't control the shift. It wasn't his fault-"

"It doesn't matter whose fault this is," Madame Inquisitor cut him off, getting tired of his ramblings. Her face stoic as she narrowed her eyes at the werewolf. "This whole case is not just because of the crime he committed, but to prevent it from happening again. He is a cursed werewolf. He is dangerous."

Jax scowled, glaring back at her and balled his fists as he tried to stop himself from snapping.

"But now he is able to control his shift. And he managed to live the past four years without killing or injuring anyone," Magnus pointed out. "And it is true that Isabelle Lightwood acted against the orders of the Clave by trying to free Jax and the Seelie, Meliorn. But she did not act against the interests of the Clave."

Madame Inquisitor raised an eyebrow curiously at the warlock's words, the only emotion other than distaste she has shown so far. Magnus took it as his sign to elaborate further. "Preventing the forced questioning of a Seelie and death of a werewolf may have save the Accords."

The woman leaned back on her seat, yet her posture remained stiff as she crossed her arms. "We are not here to speculate what might have happened if the defendant hadn't interfered."

"You mean what might happened if she hadn't stopped the Silent Brothers from torturing a Seelie and killing a werewolf? Which I heard is your second attempt at killing my client here," Magnus retorted.

Madame Inquisitor sighed, "I await a valid argument. Do you have one?"

"What you really want is the Mortal Cup. My client doesn't have it. Since this whole proceeding isn't what this is really about, I move to have this case dismissed," Magnus said smoothly.

"You're out of order."

"No," Magnus scoffed wigh a slight shake of his head. "This whole thing is out of order."

A small smirk began to crawl it's way to Jax's face when Magnus challenged the Inquisitor. Maybe he had underestimated the warlock's abilities. Maybe he can win this case for them after all.

But the thought soon went flying out of his head as Magnus started yelling at the Inquisitor, "It's not their fault, it's the Cup. Put the Cup on trial!

Jax sighed quietly and held Isabelle's hand tighter, "Lord, give me strength."

• • •

Jax shifted uncomfortably in his seat as he was called to the stand. He glared at ever single person who looked his way when he was walking up front but Magnus told him to knock it off if he still wants to try and win their sympathy. Jax wasn't fond of the idea, he didn't want people to feel sorry for him but he did as he was told and sat quietly as Lydia began asking him questions.

"Can you please tell the Court how Isabelle Lightwood helped you escape? Along with the names of her companions," Lydia started.

"Don't remember. Someone stabbed me and I passed out," Jax answered curtly. He caught Alec's eye in the back of the crowd and gave him a small smile, telling him that he really has forgiven him. Then rolled his eyes at Magnus when the warlock gave him two thumbs up at his answer. But Lydia soon demanded his attention once more.