The Taste of Freedom

''How much link time have you logged?'' Grace asked Norm, weaving her way through busy scientists with ease. Harry and Norm had no problems with keeping up with her, but because Jake was in a wheelchair, it took a little bit more effort for him to get through the horde of biologists and botanists in his way.

''About five hundred and twenty hours,'' Norm replied nervously, twiddling his thumbs the whole time. Harry rolled his eyes. Norm was about as arrogant and annoying as they came, and Harry could see right through his act.

However, Grace couldn't.

''That's good,'' She said, looking back at her entourage. She pointed to a link machine, another coffin-like structure that Harry would have to make sure that his magic didn't fuck up. ''You're here.'' Norm parted from the group, content to watch as his link machine booted up. Grace then looked at Harry. "How much link time have you logged, Soldier?'' She said the world soldier like it was a particularly disgusting flavor on her tongue.

''I didn't log anything,'' Harry replied, analyzing her face. ''I don't plan on leaving.'' Harry finished, shrugging his shoulders. Grace stared at the marine captain for a minute, trying to wrap her head around exactly what he was trying to say.

''You're there,'' She pointed to another link machine, one over from Norm, giving up for the moment on trying to figure out what Harry meant. Harry sent a glance at Jake before parting from the group as well.

Harry watched the machine whirl to life. Florescent lights lined the coffin-like structure, and he stood, almost hypnotized by the spinning machine behind the link bed. He let his curiosity get the best of him for a moment and plunged his pointer finger into the smooth looking lining of the coffin. His finger sunk right into the gel, and nostalgia hit Harry hard. He remembered his first time touching silly putty as a child and compared it to this. This was way cooler of course, but the feeling of it reminded him of his old home, his old life. The immortal smiled serenely, not caring about who was around to witness his moment of weakness. 

''Your link is ready, Captain.'' The female scientist that was prepping his machine said suddenly before leaving, trusting Harry to know exactly what he was doing. Laying down, Harry settled his body into the gel and lowered the protective exoskeleton. He settled the metal structure over his chest with practiced ease. He was about to close the link completely when a scientist, a male this time, gave him a smile and shut it for him.

Harry looked around the coffin, green lights lighting the interior. The only thing that he could move completely was his head.

Harry relaxed, letting his magic settle down and calm so it didn't blow up the link machine.

And he closed his eyes.

____________

And then opened them right back up.

It was like seeing the world for the first time. Harry could feel Ewya preening in the back of his mind, reminiscent of a proud peacock. He struggled not to laugh at the proud deity and instead chose to focus on his new and blue body.

Two scientists, Harry really couldn't have been bothered at that moment to really remember their names, stood above him smiling.

"Welcome to your new body, Harry." The male scientist said. Harry felt his ear flick in the doctor's general direction.

"Motor Controls looking good, Harry." The female said, standing in front of a monitor. He followed the cords that ran out of the machine until he got to his own arms and legs. Wow. He analyzed his long limbs and wiggled his fingers. "Good, you are able to feel and control your body to the appropriate degree." The female commented, making Harry's ear flick in her direction.