3 -- Interdimensional Cable, Secrets, and Jerry's Job

With sunlight in the window, Jerry had been sitting at the bedroom desk filling out a job application as Beth walks up to him.

"Hey," Beth says. "I just stopped by to wish you luck, and to put your amoxicillin in the fridge. I can only assume Rick put something on your recliner, because no one else has a rash, much less one suspiciously shaped like a middle finger." She rubs his shoulder, "But to help it go down, I got you a chia smoothie."

"Aww," Jerry says, "but..." almost cowering with not wanting to refuse her love, "Did you forget? I don't like chia, they're like tadpole eggs."

She tries not to grumble, "Oh, well then I forgot you a chia smoothie. Sorry sweetie." Beth opens her purse, "Anyways, I still need the car, so here's some bus money," and she plops down a massive wad of cash.

"Say whaaaat..." Jerry says surprised. "Is this your way of telling me to move out again?" he half jokes.

"No," she chuckles, then looks sly to say, "I asked Rick for some money to pay the bills..." Jerry raises an eyebrow, suspicious, so she adds, "That's not what I actually told him of course. I told him if you land this interview you'd be out of the house a lot." She smirks but rolls her eyes about Rick, "So he gave me a thousand dollars, and a job listing in India at AT&T."

Jerry slumps and grumbles, "Great... You know, if he can spare this much, maybe I should just stay unemployed and he pay all the bills. Can't he just open a portal to the Russian Fort Knox or something? And it's not like Justin Bieber couldn't use less money, then maybe Summer will stop listening to him and hear me sometimes."

"Well Rick obviously didn't want me asking for rent—for him or that woman—because he kept emphasizing the word 'retirement.'" Beth starts gathering her purse and continues, "To be honest, I don't exactly blame him, but—"

"Beth," Jerry protests, "That's just enabling him to—"

"It's not enabling him Jerry, trust me. I'm preventing enabling us. I don't want to be dependent on a psychopathic asshole." She calms herself and adds, "Besides, spoiled kids turn out to be pieces of shit anyways, or sociopaths like him. I want to work, to earn being a human being. (I mean, maybe that's why I married you...)" she wobbles his shoulder lovingly to soften the snub.

Jerry grumbles at the backhanded compliment and turns back to the computer. Then he mutters, "Out of... curiosity... The job in India wasn't in advertising was it?"

"What do you think..." Beth answers, clearly annoyed with Rick.

"Figures." Then Jerry gets hopeful, "But I could do customer service..."

"They have suicide nets Jerry."

Knowing he's wrong but not wanting to admit it, Jerry counters, "Well yeah... but look on the bright side, I could never get fired there, (unless they shoot me)."

Though she was fed up with his complacency, she channels that rage into encouraging him instead, "And that's exactly what Rick would want. Are you going to give him the satisfaction? Are you going to let him kill you so you can't save me from him? Are you going to let him be the man of the house, Jerry?" gripping his shoulders and showing all her love for him with her fierce smile.

Finally, with a loving wife on his side, and a chance to stick it to Rick, Jerry slams his fist to the desk and stands up strong, "No. Over my dead bod—Oh wait—I mean—just: No. I'll show him." He pulls her hips to his, "And I'll show you too."

"Damn right you will," and pulls him to her for a rough 'n' tumble quickie.

* * *