Chapter 13: Piggy Demon

Chapter 13 Piggy Demon

Eleanor looked at me up and down like a vulture to dead meat. 'So, that's what gargoyles are meant to look like? Bigger horns, clawed feet, pointed tails and weird dinosaur wings. Interesting development.' She glanced at Dean and Rowan. 'You two are older than her and only have one perk. Bit pathetic, isn't it?' she drawled.

'Not all gargoyles get all three traits,' Dean told her. 'It's rare.'

'Hmm.' She replied then locked onto Alina and Justin. 'And two humans. A local and a former demon. My, my how my sister does like to screw up people. You are both magical, aren't you? But your gifts aren't helpful, are they?'

Alina shrugged, 'It's not nice hearing what demons think.' Justin remained quiet.

'Let's sits down!' Squeaked Dinglewood.

'Hey! Not all of us have introduced ourselves, you cursed creature!' The boy snapped.

'Behave,' The dark skin-toned man growled at him. He gave us a pleasant smile. 'My name is Etrician, and this is Dagen,' he introduced the pale boy with straw colour hair next to him.

I gave Dagen a smile, 'It's nice to meet you both. I'm Verity, this is Rowan, Dean, Justin and Alina.'

Moments later Offo came in with a silver trolley, with several plates of food and a large pot of what smelt like ambrosia. He stopped as none of us had sat down.

Sighing Eleanor sat back and gestured for us to sit. Muttering a thank you, we all sat down and Offo gave us our breakfast.

When Alina was the last to get served, she said thank you to Offo and Dagen snorted. 'Sorry, what's wrong in saying thank you to Offo?' I asked Dagen.

He gave me a smarmy smile. 'I just find it pathetic that Hadriana has allowed humans into her home, that's all.'

'Dagen!' Etrician growled at him. 'Enough!'

'Are you part of a mythology?' Rowan asked him, changing the topic.

Etrician slowly shook his head. 'No, I am a legend for Mother Nature, for Gaia.'

'He's Gaia's foot soldier,' Eleanor explained. 'Does her dirty work, literally.'

I glanced at Rowan who was sitting on my right. 'Sorry, what like?' he asked.

Etrician appeared a little uncomfortable and sat up straight in his seat. 'Earthquakes, landslips, landslides, sinkholes that sort of thing.'

'Ah, heavy-duty stuff. Lots of devastation,' I said with a smile and Etrician frowned. Rowan nudged my hand. 'Sorry. Part demon,' I said and continued eating.

'Part demon?' Dagen asked.

Rowan glanced at me and I shook my head. I didn't want to explain, so he said, 'Verity stole the powers of a Shieldlock demon. It's how she looks the way she looks. The demon side still resides in her and sometimes she can't control it.'

Dagen chuckled, 'Oh, spicey.'

Clearing my throat as the atmosphere had taken a weird turn I glanced up at Eleanor. 'Tara told me you are into weapons more than magic.'

There was a glint in her eye. 'Oh, she did, did she?' I didn't reply. 'It's true. Had's was into magic and I was into archery, knives, daggers, sabres and the like. Not that many people know, but I have the largest collection of swords and daggers in the world.'

'You like katanas?' I asked her.

She nodded. 'Yes, fine craftsmanship.' She paused. 'You have one?'

I tapped my hip. 'I keep it with me at all times. My wings conceal it. No one can touch it, I imbued it with magic but I can show you if you'd like?'