Chapter 25 Barrage At The Gates

The group didn't take long to rally together and head straight to the library. I gave Grace a long list of spells she needed to protect Alina; after all, Alina was still human even though she had a small magic ability within her. I even asked her to speak to Mistress Malle Astra, who may have some protective talismans for her. While the others hit the books, Blackheart went to speak to Master Skye Sans, now the academy's deputy. Daniel and I went outside in the frosty cold night air and waited for him.

I watched Daniel carefully as he scuffed some stones and, grabbing some grass, tried to make them into knots. 'How are you?' I asked.

Daniel stopped and frowned at me. 'What do you mean?' When I didn't embellish, he sighed. 'I feel like shit to tell you the truth. I lost some good friends last night, and... there was nothing I could do to save them.'

'I owe you an apology,' I told him. 'This was my fault that you were attacked.' He began to shake his head. 'I should have been more forceful and moved everyone here, but Eleanor shouted me down. My gut told me to move us here; I should have been firmer. I gave Rerek everything he needed to attack the castle. I told him everything.'

'Unknowing,' he interrupted. Rubbing his ginger hair, he stopped when his hand reached his horns. 'Verity, don't blame yourself; you didn't know. Hell, Eleanor also gave Rerek an open invitation into her castle. It just happened. No one could have foreseen this. I'm glad you returned and saved as many as possible.' With a sad smile, he added, 'When this is all over, I want to tell my little sister everything I've been through. She's a gargoyle, too,' he added. 'She'll be joining her academy in Oslo in four years.'

I made myself comfy on a rock. 'Does she know you are a Watcher?'

He nodded without hesitation. 'Oh yeah. Made my parents really proud as well as fearful,' he gave me a wan smile. 'Did you know there is a test on whether you are a Watcher?' I shook my head. 'It's just a simple magic test. There's a spell that gargoyles cannot perform, but Watchers can.' I thought he was talking about the ultimate spell that shines bright white light around us, but when he said the Plick spell, I thought it was taking the piss.

'What the hell is that spell?'

He giggled and stood in front of me. 'It's an old name for personal future, but not in a monetary way; it's to show what your body will look like in the future. Here, I'll show you. Standing in front of me, he held his hands, palms down and said, 'Riyuk plick!'

I gasped in shock as I saw him grow a few inches, large wings sprouted from his back, and a long pointed tail slashed behind him. And in the seconds, he showed what he looked like, the spell ended. My mouth had fallen open. 'I never knew that spell! That's so cool!'

'That's the first time I've seen you smile,' he pointed out. 'I know what we are going through is horrifying, sad and frightening. But,' he shrugged, 'you need to find the awe and the light amongst the darkness.'

The conversation dropped then, and Blackheart headed over to us with a teacher I knew of, but never had many lessons with. Mater Dragoslav Ozlyn.

'Good morning,' I said to him. The Russian gargoyle, dressed in a dark blue long-sleeve top and jeans, he had large wings, which were neatly folded behind him and thick horns that he didn't want to hide away. After spotting me, he gave me a stiff nod. I glanced at Blackheart for an explanation.

'He is good with languages,' he said simply.

'And we can't use a language spell because?' I asked.

He sighed impatiently. 'Not everything can be sorted with spells, Verity. Besides, I'm not sure there even is one. That is why I asked Dragoslav to come with us. He agrees we need more gargoyles.'