Chapter 14 In Search of the Watchers

By midnight, the same night the winged demons told us the master of all this was Rerek, I was in the undercroft practising my magic. Alina had come down to watch me while the others were upstairs preparing in their own way. Our main priority was to obtain the rest of the Watchers, to get back Gwen and Lauri. The more I practised the angrier I got. I failed Gwen and Lauri, I left them and flew off to Russia, not even trying to find them. I was pathetic, I was an idiot. 'DAMN IT!' I screamed, blasting a hole in the brickwork beside me.

As the dust settled, I yelled and punched the floor, cracking the slab beneath me. Breathing heavily Alina didn't move. 'I'm here if you want to talk,' she said sadly.

My tail swishly angrily, slicing the air. With one hand, I fixed the broken brick and closed my eyes. 'I've failed them,' I told her managing my anger. 'I've failed the others.'

'How?'

Sighing heavily, I paced back and forth, my tail flicking left and right, keeping my balance. 'I went to Russia, leaving them, not knowing what had happened to Gwen or Lauri.' I balled my fists. 'Gwen deserves to know her uncle is dead!' I spat. 'And Lauri deserves the biggest apology from me. They'll both be upset with me.'

'You didn't mean to leave them, and they won't be upset with you,' she told me.

'YES, I DID!' I snapped and my wings flared out in anger and Alina recoiled a little. 'See! I'm upsetting you as well!' Still pacing, the demon in me was irritated that I didn't break something or cause someone pain.

Alina sighed, 'Yes, you do upset me when you are angry because I don't know how you are managing everything. You are going through a lot of high emotions, Verity. When you take that anger out on demons, it's very easy for you to become...' I glanced at her and she stared at the floor, 'like them soon afterwards.'

I knew this. Killing demons was fun and the excitement from it made the demon in me relish the brutality. I stopped pacing, but my tail was giving me away. I was still angry. 'I can control the monster side of me, I can. I do!' I protested. 'I'm... I'm tired of waiting to get the others. We go tonight. There's no use in practising anymore.' Swiftly I headed back up into the hallway, hearing hushed tones in the kitchen. Barging in, everyone stopped as I entered. I frowned. 'Don't stop talking about me on my account.'

Dean sighed and folded his arms. I saw that Rowan and Justin weren't there.

Dagen, however, was. He smirked. 'I like her.'

I growled at him. 'Tara said we need a guide into Avalon. Is she mistaken that it's you?'

He glared at me. 'No. She's not.'

'Good,' I spat and glanced at the others who clearly were talking about me. 'We leave now. I'm fed up with waiting.'

Etrician, who was leaning on the table smiled. 'Well, there you have it,' he said. 'Verity is ready now.'

Eleanor sighed. 'Fine. Dagen, you and Dinglewood will take us to Avalon. Etrician will be our transport there. We are leaving in five minutes.' Dean, Dagen and Dinglewood headed for the door. I stayed there and waited for them to leave. 'Yes?' Eleanor looked at me.

'Can I ask what you were talking about me for? You can tell me, I won't get pissed off... much,' I said with a small smile.

Etrician sighed. 'We are worried that the Watchers will forget what their real purpose is.'

'Nice change in tact,' I said and nodded at him. 'Go on.'

'Dean filled us in regarding the souls of the Watchers that Rowan managed to free,' Etrician continued. 'Being in Avalon can strip you of all sense of belief and self.'