Chapter 11: Rosie's Birthday and A Life's Choice.

'Mum,' I called over the bannister, 'I'm popping out into town. Did you want anything?'

Grabbing a grey hoodie from my room, as I saw dark clouds looming in the distance, I thundered down the stairs.

'Oh, Verity, I wish you would just walk down the stairs. You sound like a bleedin' elephant.'

'It's cos she is,' Rosie piped up from the breakfast table.

'Oy, watch it squirt, or no presents for you.' I pointed, but I still smiled. I had bought the most amazing gift for my little sister for her sweet sixteen. It cost a lot of money, and I had saved up everything I could since dad passed away a few months ago. Mum was still sad about dad's death; we all were as it was so sudden, but Rosie and I tried to make everything as normal for her as we could.

Mum clicked her fingers and held up her purse. 'Could you get a bag of McCain Oven chips and a tin of mushy peas?' I frowned, and then it clicked: Fish Friday. Every Friday was the same, fish and chips and mushy peas.

'Sure.' I went to the cupboard by the oven and grabbed a plastic bag.

'Oh, and can you give this to Mr and Mrs Goldsmith next door?' she pointed to an electronic bread knife.

'And you can't give it to them because?'

'I have things to do,' she said and left me staring after her.

'So,' I went to my sister and picked up the knife. 'How many screaming teenage girls are coming to your party tomorrow?'

'About ten,' she shrugged. 'And we aren't going to be screaming. We aren't all that girly.'

'It's got nothing to do with being girly. It's just that all teenage girls scream.'

'Do not!' She protested.

I pointed and smiled at her, 'Justin Bieber concert.'

'That's different!'

'Oh, and what about that Miley Cyrus?'

'Nah, she's old school now.'

'One Direction?' Rosie's smile turned into a gleeful grin, so I decided not to go there. 'Anyway, I'm off and don't go sneaking into my room to find your present because it's not there. I've hidden it at a friend's house.'

'Smart,' she nodded in respect.

I headed out of the house and turned an immediate right. I should have just jumped over the fence, but Mr Goldsmith was funny. I rang the doorbell and waited. Moments later, Rowan, the Goldsmith's son, answered the door.

'Hey, Verity.' He looked down at my hand. 'Ah, the bread knife.'

'Thanks for letting us borrow it,' I smiled, handing it back.

'Who's that?' A friendly face appeared around Rowan's shoulder. It was Dean, Rowan's best friend. 'Hey, Verity.'

I nodded. I wasn't particularly fond of Dean. He was cute and all, but that was as far as it went. Rowan was exceptionally dreamy but was way out of my league.

'Well, I gotta fly, so bye, guys.'

'Whoa wait a sec,' Rowan called and left the house to come after me. 'Some mates and I are going out tomorrow and I was kinda wondering if you wanted to come with?'

'Can't, it's my sister's sixteenth birthday party, I have to be there.'

'Well, come after it? You're not going to stay for the whole thing, right?'