Chapter 15 Into The Mist

When we all emerged into Avalon, Dinglewood gasped. 'There is somes colours back! It's true, Kingly Arthur has returned!' Avalon was beautiful and eerier all in one. We were standing on a hill that swept down into a valley below. There were tall trees that poked through a thick, white mist that rolled across the valley. Ahead, as Eleanor mentioned, was the castle. The mist appeared like a ghostly moat around it. But no sooner as I admired the realm, I felt all the goodness be sucked away from me and I instantly felt irritated, angry and ready to punch something. It was taking all of my willpower to not throw fireballs at Eleanor, who wanted to ensure everyone was alright.

She stared at me, hard, 'Hey, keep it together. We need you. Don't bail on us now!'

Dean frowned at her but I noticed Rowan was staring at me. He approached me and I took a step back. 'I don't want to hurt you.' Balling my hands into fists, I drew blood, splattering the ground below.

Etrician came over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. 'Ground yourself.' I was about to throw his hand off but I felt a strange calmness flow over me. 'For an aerial creature, who is constantly fighting, you always wish to fight to get away. You are in a realm that will mentally and physically challenge you. Don't forget your goal. Find the Watchers, they need you.' Staring at me with his deep, earth-brown eyes I nodded, understanding. Etrician, Eleanor, Dinglewood and Dagen were all here to help us. Although Dagen didn't really care whether we lived or died, he was asked to help and unwillingly came with us. I couldn't let them or the Watchers down. But I was pissed I was here in this realm.

Rowan came to my side then and I felt, not happy, but sane, I suppose which didn't have an emotion. 'Are you alright?' he asked, his voice low and unhappy.

I gave a stiff nod. 'I feel quite oppressed.'

Dagen snorted, 'Welcome to Avalon. Oppression is the best feeling that can come from this place.'

'It has some colour though,' Etrician said, 'Thera said last time she was here it was pretty much greyscale.'

'Because of Artur's returns!' The little hobgoblin squeaked. 'His returns means betters for Avalon.' He tilted his head. 'But I stills not sure why the feelings are like this.'

Eleanor took a deep breath and started forward. 'Come on, the sooner we get there, the better.'

As we all made our way down a rocky path into the valley I noticed two things. One, my magic was starting to wane. It was like a leak, one you'd find in a dinghy. A tiny one but you know after a while if you don't stop it, it could cause problems and you'd drown. The second thing I noticed, was that Dean was staring very intently at the back of Eleanor's head. I was about to ask him why when he answered my question by talking to Eleanor.

'So, if this place takes happiness and magic, how aren't you affected, Eleanor?'

She turned and gave him a wan smile, then pointed at her belt. 'I'm not affected because this is the belt of Hippolyta. I take it you didn't know but I'm the leader of the Amazons.'

'The tribal women warriors?' I asked and she nodded. 'That's, that's impressive.'

'Didn't need your validation, Verity,' she griped, 'but in answer to your question, Dean, the belt gives me magical immunity. The belt is pure magic. It gives me strength and speed.'

Dean then said, 'Okay, so what about your happiness? Sorry, but you come across as sour anyway.'

Etrician looked like he wanted to laugh but couldn't.

'It's because I am sour,' Eleanor agreed. 'Between Hadriana and I, people favour her more than me. I've been in decades-long moods just because I could.' She shrugged. 'I'm not as pissed off with our "mother"' she air-quoted, 'as my sister is. But if I find ways to mentally torment her, I will.'