53. Talk Over A Drink

Start from the beginning

Malhotra Mansion, late night

As Mukti was sleeping, she skipped her dinner. Manik covered up for her saying she was tired. Mukti came to poolside late at night and sat there dipping her feet inside the water.

"Talk over a drink?"

She turned back and found Manik holding two cans of drink. Mukti smiled at him. He smiled back and sat beside her.

Mukti(surprised): Tu soya nahi?

Manik(raising an eyebrow): How can I? When a piece of my heart is sitting here at our common-place all alone. Yaad hai tujhe, bachpan mein jab bhi tere ghar par jhagda hota tha aur tu upset hoti thi, tu idhar aa jati thi. We used to sit like this and talk for hours over a drink.

Mukti(smiled softly): How can I forget those days? The time I have spent with you were some of the best moments of my childhood. But Manik, there is a correction about drinks. I used to drink heavily and tu bas apni cold drink ya fruit juice lekar baith jata tha.

Manik(stuttered): Haan toh there should be someone sober right.

Mukti(teased): Majnu, stop acting. Nandu ko pasand nahi hai. Isiliye you never touched alcohol in your life.

Manik rubs his neck sheepishly while Mukti smiles at his cuteness. He hands her a can of drink. She without seeing it chuckles softly.

Mukti(whispered): Manik, even I had quit drinking.

Manik(shocked): what? Kab? Kaise?

Mukti(with a soft smile): Manik, you meet some people in your life and your life just changes for good.

Manik(chuckled): So, you stopped drinking that too for a person. That's shocking.

Mukti(calmly): I didn't stop it for a person. I was avoiding it and I didn't even realize when I started hating alcohol. As I said some people just come as a blessing in your otherwise dull life.

It took some time for Manik to process the things.

Manik(informed): Waise these are just some fruit juices.

Mukti nods and they both start sipping their drink.

Manik(inquired): Where are your parents now?

Mukti(chuckled sadly): Who cares. I live in an apartment near our boutique in Bangalore. Sometimes Alya or Navya stay with me otherwise I have my whole apartment to myself. From the time I started working, they even stopped sending me money. I am happy they just walked out of my life. It's much better than claiming their rights on me.

Manik takes her in a side hug and rubs her hand.

Manik(nervously): Jab main tum sabse dur gaya, kya tujhe laga maine bhi sabki tarah tujhe chod diya?

Mukti(frowned): Aise kaise jane deti tujhe main? I always knew what was happening in your life. Thanks to Cabir. I know there must be something very serious that you had to push us away, but you are very precious for me to lose. I was waiting for you to come back.

Manik(confessed): Even when we weren't together all I was worried was about you. I couldn't even ask Cabir about you. Hell, I didn't even know he was in touch with you all. I knew Alya and Dhruv could manage together but you. You know right you mean so much to me?

Mukti(ruffled his hair): I know, Manik. You don't need to explain me. Even after all these years, you still didn't lose your place in my life and we started off exactly from where we have left. I don't even remember that we were apart for years. That's the bond we share.

Manik(pouted): Lekin tu mujhe ye nahi batayegi ki why you were crying in the office?

Mukti(sighing heavily): Life is complicated, Manik. When you get close to someone, something happens and you lose that person. This repeats and finally, you stop believing that something good can happen to you. You hurt people in this process. You push them away even after their multiple attempts to stay back.

Manik(stated): But if the person truly loves you, they will stay back no matter what.

Mukti(helplessly): I don't know yaar. Dekh suppose I love you and if I keep on questioning your love for me, wouldn't you feel like leaving me even if you truly love me.

Manik(seriously): Mukti, questioning love is a big thing. But if you are trying to say that you are insecure about that person, that you will lose them then it's pretty normal. If you love a person you are always afraid to lose them. But being jealous is a different thing. Jealousy shouldn't control your relationship with any person.

Mukti(confused): Matlab.

Manik(explained): Matlab if you are afraid that you will lose that particular person you love to every single human being they talk. That's being jealous unnecessarily. Jealousy till some point is healthy. But not every time. If you can't trust the person, you don't have the right to be with that person.

Mukti was lost in her thoughts.

Manik(assured): Mukti, I know you take time in trusting people but love runs on trust. Not every person in this world is bad and mechanical. Stop comparing them with your parents. Mukti, main hoon na. You trust me, right?

Mukti nods in a yes.

Manik(affectionately): When I say, you mean so much to me. When I say, you are a piece of my heart and are close to me, you belive me right? Similarly, if you believe someone loves you with every breath of theirs, if they make you happy, if they make you feel secure, and if they stand by you in all your ups and downs then don't they deserve your trust?

Mukti had tears by the end. Wiping off her tears, Manik spoke.

Manik(winks): Aur waise bhi if they break your trust am I not there to break some of their bones?

Mukti chuckles and nods.

Manik(diverting the topic): Chal bahut late ho gaya. Let's sleep. Baaki baate subah karenge? Let me drop you till your room.

They leave for her room.

Mukti's room, at the door

Manik pecks her forehead and mutters a 'goodnight' and turns to leave when Mukti calls him back. She hugs him tight and mutters a 'thank you'. Breaking the hug, she takes a deep breath before speaking.

Mukti(looking down): Manik, I need to tell you something. I hope you will understand the situation and support me.

Manik(promised): You will always find me by your side, Mukti.

Mukti(squealed): I love you so much.

Manik(teased): I love you too, kiddo.

Mukti(whined): I am not a kid.

Manik(winks): You will always be a kid to me. (Mukti glares him). Acha glaring bandh kar and go to sleep. Subah milte hai.

He runs from there shouting 'kid' while Mukti smiles at him. She goes in and calls her most important person. 

I hope people, who wanted to see Manik jealous, got their answers? 

As many of you have guessed, Mukbhi's confession is next. There's a reason why Mukbhi are given a priority over Manan. 5-6 more chapters and you will get another surprise/shock. Keep calm and enjoy the updates till then. :)

What do you think about this chapter? Need your feedback on these. Even if you don't agree on anything, please do tell. :)