23. Smart Manik, Stupid Nandu.

Hello People. 

Happy Reading...

Nandu couldn't help but stare at the guy with wide eyes. Composing herself, she went to her room and fell on the bed thinking about the ways to face him, the next day.

Here, Manik too reached his home with his heart beating fast. Why? Because he was expecting something. The letter. Finding no letter waiting for him even at home, he sighed in relief but a part of him was disappointed on not finding one. And he is too stubborn to accept it.

Just then there was a message on his mobile.

Message: Call me when you are home.

Manik frowns but calls the person.

Manik: I am home.

Abhi: ready for your wish list?

Manik: Abhi, it's not how you think. I just offered her to show Mumbai since I thought ...

Abhi: thanks for being with her. She must have felt alone staying at home.

Manik: matlab tu gussa nahi hai?

Abhi: Why would I? I guess I have only told you to know each other.

Manik: hmm.

Abhi: Acha, chal rakta hun. Goodnight.

Manik: Goodnight.

After the call, Manik too drifted to sleep, thinking about Nandini.

Next morning at Murthy House

An unusual morning for the early bird, Nandini Murthy. Due to the late night outings and thinking about Manik's words, Nandu missed her alarm and so the riyaaz. She woke up due to the constant buzzing of her mobile. Cursing the person, she picked up the call without even looking at the caller.

Nandu: hello

Caller: are you still sleeping? But Abhi told me that you wake up early in the morning.

Nandu: Cabir bhai, aap? What's the time? Oh shit. I am late to the office. I will call you later.

Cabir: Princess wait. Saans tho le pehle. No need to go to the office. Can you please go to Manik's house? It's urgent.

Nandu: bhai, is he fine?

Cabir: pata nahi. Just go and check him once.

Nandu: yes going right away. And I'll call you once I see him.

Nandu cuts the call and calls Manik, but he doesn't pick up. She goes and freshens up within minutes and drives to Malhotra Mansion whose address was forwarded to her by Cabir.

After reaching Malhotra house, Nandu enquired about Manik's room and went upstairs running and found a piece of her heart shivering on the bed. Tears welled up in her eyes seeing him in pain. She shrugged them as it's time for her to be strong. She went towards Manik and found his body burning. Wrapping him in a blanket she went to the kitchen and asked one of the butlers to call the doctor and another for a piece of cloth. She warmed some water and taking the cloth, went up to Manik.

Dipping the cloth in the water she put it on his forehead and checked his room for a thermometer. Finding one in the cupboard, she checked his temperature. By the time she has done this there were more tears threatening to fall down. But a knock on the door stopped her. She saw the doctor coming and informed him about his temperature. The doctor assured her that it's just a normal fever and gave some medicines. After instructing her to make him eat something lite, he left. Nandu sat beside him and was constantly changing the cloth on his forehead.

Meanwhile, Cabir called her. She went out to pick it up so as not to disturb his sleep.

Cabir: Nandu, how's Manik.

Nandu: bhai, he is sleeping. Just a mild fever and abhi bas doctor aaye the check karne. I am here na, main dekh lungi. Aap tension mat lijiye.

Cabir: Princess tu ro rahi hain?

After listening to this, Abhi who was sitting beside him and is equally worried for Manik snatched the phone from Cabir.

Nandu: nahi bhai. I am not crying. Main kyun royungi.

Abhi: babydoll stop pretending. You can't lie to me.

Listening to Abhi, finally, the tears that she was stopping since so long made its way out and continued for some time. Abhi kept silent for some time but when he couldn't further see his sister in pain stopped her.

Abhi: Bas kar na bacha. Aur kitna royegi? What happened? Tell me na?

Nandu: Bhai yeh sab meri wajah se hua hain. Yesterday night it was already 10 and I insisted him to stay for some more time near the beach. It was drizzling too. Aur subah tak, he is having fever. Bhaii...

Before she could continue further, the source of their topic took the phone from Nandu's hands. Manik who just woke up heard sounds of someone sobbing. He slowly walked up till there and found Nandu in her self-blame session.

Manik: Abhimanyu, I am fine. In fact, standing right now. And I know what exactly happened yesterday night so, let me handle your sister for now. I'll speak to you guys later. And ask everyone there not to worry too.

With that, he hung up the call.

Manik:(with a stern face) Come, we need to talk.

Nandu: Manik you freshen up. Tumhe medicines bhi lene hai.

And she rushes out of his room without giving him any chance to say further.

Manik pov

Yaar ajeeb ladki hai. Main yahan uske liye khada hun aur yeh chali gayi. Matlab mujhe fever hai, kuch tho concession milna chahiye na. Chal, Manik beta. Let's get freshen up. Phir mil lena apni Nandu se. Wow, apni Nandu. Kaano ko kitna sukoon mil raha hai.

Pov ends

He leaves to freshen up with a sheepish smile. After coming back from washroom he finds Nandu sitting there with a bowl of soup, lost in her thoughts. He comes to her again maintaining a stern face. He finishes off his soup and medicines without any word. After that he calls the butler and ask him to bring a plate of food to his room.

Manik: Now, can we talk? (Seeing Nandu looking down he continues) what were you talking about with Abhimanyu?

Nandu: Manik...main

Manik: Main kya? We were sitting outside until late night so I got ill. Seriously, what stupid logic is this? Tum meri hi P.A ho na? Look at me. So smart. Aur tum itni stupid kaisi ho sakti ho? Yahi sikhaya hai kya, tumhare Einstein or vo Sherlock Holmes ne?

Nandini was just gaping at him.

Manik: Why are you so shocked? Agar un logo ki bajaye mere jaise kisi smart insaan se friendship kiya hota tho aaj aisi situation nahi aati.

Composing herself, Nandini involuntarily raises her hand..

Manik: Marne ka sochna bhi mat. I am ill. You have to treat me with respect.

Seeing her silent, Manik continues after few minutes.

Manik: You know Nandu, my parents are busy most of the times. I don't complain. I know they too have some responsibilities towards Malhotra industries. Cabir stays beside me always, because he knows I feel alone. I haven't ever mentioned it to him but he does. It's mostly him taking care of me. (After a small pause)
But you know, It feels so good to take care of someone. Nandu you r so innocent, so fragile. You are too special for me. Never ever. I repeat never ever blame yourself or anyone for the time that we spend together. Ok?

Words betrayed her, making her giving just a plain nod. She hasn't ever experienced so much 'care', as she liked to term it as, from someone other than her family. Manik who understood her state didn't feel bad with such a short answer. He instead smiled at the girl and promised himself to never hurt her.

They were disturbed by the butler who came there with a plate of food. Manik took the plate and ask him to leave. Giving the plate to Nandu he asked her to have the food to which she gave him a confused look.

Manik: yeh looks kya de rahi ho? Tumhe laga I will have food after having a bowl of soup that too when I have a fever? Yaar main itna bhi bhukkad nahi hun. I am sure, tumne lunch nahi kiya hoga and breakfast too. So tum khaao and let me rest a bit.

Nandu takes the plate and starts having her food while Manik lays down and glances at Nandu. Soon because of the effects of medicines he slept. After finishing the dinner she finds a sleeping Manik. She goes towards him, wraps the blanket around him and goes outside to attend a call from Abhi, who was calling her for some time now. This time she made sure to talk in lower voices keeping her emotions in check. 

How was the update? Waiting for your feedback.

Manan ff : Love Story of an Introvert ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara