Chapter 17

Demons

Chapter 17

Justin

"Baby, can you please eat something? You're starting to loose weight from not eating and it's scaring me." I ignored the voice coming from behind me. All I could do is stare out from my place on the balcony, finish drinking my beer, and think about what I'm gonna do next.

"Babe, look. I know it's been hard these last three weeks but--"

"You don't know a god damn thing. You have no idea what it's like, having someone you love so dearly be kidnapped right under your nose. Knowing you could have tried to prevent it. You don't know anything."

"But, baby--"

"STOP CALLING ME BABY, STOP CALLING ME BABE, DON'T CALL ME ANYTHING BUT JUSTIN! JUST STOP EVERYTHING OKAY, SELENA?"

I turned to face her. She had sadness, shock, and slight anger written all over her face.

"You're right, I don't know. But, you don't have to flip the hell out on me that way. I'm trying to help..." Selena looked down at her feet. I sighed, putting my drink down, and walked over to her. I pulled her in for a hug. Her thin arms wrapped around my waist.

"I'm sorry for yelling. I just got a little annoyed because that's all Vanessa would--"

Selena shook her head and placed a finger on my lips.

"I shouldn't have called you that. I slipped off...I guess I'm not used to just calling you 'Justin' just yet. I just... I just need you to cooperate with me. I'll be here when you need me for anything. Eat when I tell you to. Sleep when I tell you to. Stop drinking when I tell you to. You and I both know that you need a clear head while trying to find her. It's no help when you're starving, sleep deprived, and drunk."

Another sigh passed through my lips.

"You're completely right... Thank you, Sel. Sometimes I don't know where I could be without you trying to guide me." She grimaced.

"But now it's Vanessa's turn to help keep you in check. Though in order to do that, we have to find her first. Come on, lets go eat something and get to searching."

She grasped my arm, pulling me downstairs to the kitchen. Today, everyone was out, trying to give me some space. So it's just me and Selena alone in the beach house. She served me some homemade chicken soup she made and we both sat down across from each other on the breakfast bar.

"So how's the baby?" I asked after a few silent minutes.

"What are you taking about?" She looked at me confused. I frowned.

"The baby. Our baby. Haven't you been the doctor lately to see?" He spoon dropped in her bowl and her breathing became noticeable.

"Selena?" She got up from her seat and started pacing back and forth. I stood up with her, grabbing her arm and making her look at me.

"Selena, tell me the truth. What's going on?" I asked slowly. A tear ran down her cheek.

"I lied. Your not the father...Alfredo Flores is..."

"What?"

"Yeah. We kinda hooked up a few weeks back. He didn't use a condom and I wasn't on the pill. I knew it was him the whole time but..."

"But what, Selena?"

Selena sighed and pulled me to the couches, taking at seat. I sat next to her waiting for a good answer.

"When I found out I was pregnant, I knew it could only be Alfredo because he was the only I had sex with in that time. So I went to the doctor and made sure it was surely Alfredo's baby. And I was right. Next thing I know, I was visited by this guy. He told me that I needed to tell you that the baby was yours or he was going to kill me family. Please understand why I did this..." I looked down at the ground in shock.

"What did this man look like?" I asked numbly. She gave me his exact description and even a business card he left. When I looked at the name, it gave me exactly what I wanted to see. Ricardo Vega.

I leaped from my seat, grabbing my phone and calling Scooter.

"Hey man, what's up?" He answered.

"We got him."

*******************************

"So he's somewhere on the outskirts of Orlando?" I asked Ronald, a guy that Alfredo and Scooter know who is going to help us find and get Vanessa back.

He nodded in response. I sighed running a hand down my face. I tried to stifle a yawn but Selena caught it anyway. She gave me a look that said you-need-some-sleep.

"I think we should continue this tomorrow. I have a strong feeling on this one and we all need a clear head. But first I want tank you all for helping me these past three weeks...it's hasn't been easy for any of you dealing with me and it hasn't been easy for me either."

Ryan clapped a hand on my back.

"You know we're here for you, bro." I gave him a sad smile.

Sometimes I wish I could just close my eyes, then wake up like this was all a dream. That I would wake up to her wrapped in my arms peacefully asleep. But no. She had to be kidnapped by some idiot who doesn't know how to let the past go.

I felt someone shaking my arm and calling my name, pulling me out of my train of thought.

"Justin, you phone," someone said. I grabbed my phone off the counter and answered it.

"Hello?"

I heard a deep and raspy chuckled on the other end.

"Miss me?" Anger ripped though me.

"Where is she you son of a--"

"Justin?" Asked a small, weak voice.

"Vanessa?"

"Yeah..." Relief coursed trough my veins.

"Baby! Thank god. Where are you? Are you okay? Has he hurt you? Did he touch you at all?"

"I love y-- NO PLEASE!" The line went dead.

"VANESSA!" I threw my phone across the room, making it shatter to pieces. It was silent in the room, except for Ronald's fingers flying across it computers keyboard doing God knows what.

Suddenly the doorbell rang. I nearly ran to the door to see if it could be Vanessa somehow. When I opened the door, there was no one there. Just a note on the ground that read:

Meet me down by the docks in the old warehouse with 20 million dollars. Cash. Come alone.

~R

I crumble the note in my hand, slamming the door, and breaking nearly every object in my way.