Chapter Thirty Four : The Boy In The Alleyway

"Logan? Logan! Oh my God, it's really you!" I threw my arms around him and started to kiss his cheeks, jaw and forehead as relief and happiness flooded through me. I couldn't control my own movements as I peppered hot, little kisses all over his face. I wasn't embarrassed, I was too happy to be embarrassed. Tears of joy welled up in my eyes as I whispered, "It's really you."

"I know." Logan chuckled softly, his chest rumbling and I felt it in my body- we were that close. It was weird, but it felt good in an assuring way that he was here-right here in front of me. His arms were securely wrapped around my waist. Still he pulled me further, pressing me closer and tighter to him like he couldn't get enough of me. "I know Joy, I know."

I swept my hands all over his face, touching, caressing and maybe even analysing his skin for I still couldn't believe. "Where were you? Are you alright? You went missing these days, where were you hiding? Who helped you? What about--- "

"Hush now . . . We can't let anyone hear us." He pulled me behind the large light pole and gently removed my hands from his face. "I was staying at Jamal's mum's apartment. I met him at Pat's."

"Oh that makes sense," I said thoughtfully. Jamal had his own story, his father, stepmother and two little stepsisters were well off, well respected and lived in a beautiful house over looking the ocean. On the other hand, his mum was troubled and lived in a scruffy apartment in the bad neighbourhood. Jamal's father provided Jamal with everything, but he still stuck to his mother. He wouldn't give up on her no matter how much of a let down she was. Everyone knew about this and my mum couldn't quite understand why Jamal still ran after her immoral mum. One of the reasons why my mum didn't like Jamal around me or Gemma since she thought of him as impractical and vulgar as his mum. "I'm so glad Jamie found you! He's brilliant, isn't he?"

"He's fine," Logan said grudgingly and I laughed. My laughter ceased as I stared up at him, his face barely visible in the dark. Moonlight spilled over him and his sea-coloured eyes which now appeared almost black, shone. His skin too glistened like silver and wisps of his damp hair stuck to his forehead. I wondered when was the last time he had taken a shower. It didn't matter though, he was here, he was finally here with me!

I had almost lost him because of my irresponsibility. He was safely hidden at the lighthouse until I wrecked it. Me and my bloody nose! Guilt rose in me as I tried to push down the heavy knot formed in my throat. "I'm sorry Logan, I truly am."

I could see the outline of his eyebrows furrowing in confusion. "Why?"

"Had I not come that day at the lighthouse with my bloody nose and storm raging outside, this all wouldn't have happened . . . "

Logan placed his long, slender index finger over my lips to stop me from saying anything further. I opened my mouth to protest, but he simply said, "Don't be stupid Joy."

"You always say that, but I'm saying the truth," I mumbled dejectedly.

He shook his head. "It wasn't your fault, nothing that happens around you is your fault. You keep on making it yours as if you like to think it's your fault."

I punched his chest indignantly. "That's a horrid thing to say!"

Logan shook his head again, this time the corners of his lips curling upwards. "You like to fix people Joy, you think you're responsible for them when in reality you're not. If it wasn't for you and your grandpa, I would have been in Scotland right now, toiling away for that bastard. You're not to be blamed here, you're far from that and it doesn't matter now. I have you here, right where I want you to be."

"In your arms like lovers?" I added playfully, but his expression was grave.

"I missed you Joy," he murmured thickly as he grazed his finger over my wet lips. My throat went dry, my breath hitched and I turned still-very still. It was easy to say and do things in the dark fearlessly when one couldn't see each other properly. We hadn't stuttered once and considering our history, it was rare. Very rare indeed.