"I will kill you." I whispered, but Nikolai wasn't even paying attention. His hooded blue eyes were glued to Jamie. As if nothing else in the world existed. I felt a tug at my heart, if only Cassius would look at me like that. Jamie turned around and leaned against the counter, his gaze flitting to Nikolai first. They shared a glance before he looked to me.

"So, what's up. I didn't get a chance to call you back." He drawled and pulled a ceramic cup from the cupboard. His shirt lifted up a little bit as he did so. I don't think I've ever seen him wear it before. It seemed two sizes too big. I slumped over, a frown on my face.

"The dream Cassius, he wasn't dream walking. I was kind of hoping it would really be him though." I muttered and pressed my forehead to the couch. Jamie poured coffee into the mug.

"But he was a jerk so don't feel bad." Jamie spoke indignantly and plopped down between Nikolai and I.

"Yeah, but it still hurts. I really miss him." I turned my head to look at Jamie. Then I narrowed my eyes. "And what the hell is he doing in your house?" Jamie looked flustered.

"Uh, he, uh, helped me a little bit," He muttered sheepishly.

"So I've heard. But that doesn't explain why you let a freaking vampire sleep on your couch." I studied him carefully, Nikolai wasn't even paying attention at this point. He was leaning against his knuckles and staring down at Jamie.

"He was nice to me. And it's easy to forget he's," Jamie struggled with the word, "that, when he does that thing." I blinked.

"Uh. What thing?" I blinked, I hoped to all that was unholy Nikolai hadn't stolen his virginity.

"No!" Jamie blushed, "not like that. The fangs. They're retractable." I knew that, it was basic knowledge, but I didn't realize that it would help. But that did kind of make sense, fangs were a defining feature for vampires. Take them away and they look like any other demon.

"Well, I will destroy him if he hurts you." I stated indignantly and looked at Nikolai. "And no biting. Ever. Unless Jamie says so." Gotta lay it down, before he crosses a line. I never, ever, want to see Jamie get hurt. Nikolai looked up at me and grinned, putting his hands up in mock surrender.

"I would never."

-

"I'm so glad it's a sunny day." I remarked happily as Jamie and I walked down the street. Nikolai had to stay at Jamie's apartment. Ha ha. I win. "So, Nikolai." I stated drawing out the 'o'.

"What about him?" Jamie replied coolly, but I could tell the topic made him nervous.

"Do you like him?" I asked bluntly and stuffed my hands in my pockets.

"He-he's attractive." His voice cracked slightly, I looked down to catch his eye. But he darted his gaze away. I noticed that, like Nikolai, he had dark bags under his eyes. Questionable.

"Fine, don't tell me about it. But if he tries to make a move I will murder him." I muttered and opened the door to the cafe, the bell rang as we stepped in. I was greeted with the warm smell of cinnamon and coffee.

"He's not a bad person, Allie." Jamie reasoned and chewed on his bottom lip.

"You're right, he is not a person. He's a fucking vampire!" I whispered as we took a seat at an old booth. Jamie looked at his feet and squirmed uncomfortably beneath my gaze.

"He's a demon too Allie. Don't be mean." Jamie replied and I knew he was right but I was fucking worried about him.

"I know, but I don't want you to suffer if this goes any further." I spoke gently to him, "but I'll support you whatever you choose to do." A light blush dusted his cheeks but he nodded his head, the waitress came by and I ordered for the both of us.

I love waffles.

-

Halfway through breakfast a group of demon enforcers entered the diner. At first I was curious, they looked so professional in their gear. Black and military. But then I noticed what they were here for. Each one held a photograph, one showed it to the manager, they were only a few feet away.

Then I saw the image.

Me.

It was a fucking photograph of me.

My palms were clammy, my blood turned to ice. I needed to hide.

Why the fuck did they have a picture of me?

Without a second thought I scurried to the bathroom, Jamie looked confused but I shot him a pleading glance. He shut up just as a soldier stopped at our booth. I looked back and the soldier looked up. And for that split second we made eye contact I knew it was a mistake.

I stepped into the bathroom and locked the door behind me. It was one of those small dingy ones, with a tiny flickering artificial light and only one toilet. No windows. No way out.

I'm fucking screwed.

May 2018