Tension Rising

CHRIS' POV:

"Who do you think you are?!" I shouted at Daniel. Emily was looking at us in shock from where she was sitting. Daniel took a step closer to me, I could feel his heavy breath on my face. He was looking damn angry.

"Wanna know who I am? I'll tell you then...I'M THE PLACE WHERE SHE HID HERSELF RIGHT AFTER YOU ALMOST RAPED HER!" His words were so full of hatred that I even hated myself. I tried to say something but words were lost. Then I felt a punch on my cheek. I didn't care anyway. I deserved this. He beat me, beat me and beat me. For maybe minutes. Emily was pleading him to stop. And me, I was on the floor blood coming from my lip and nose.

"FIGHT BACK! COWARD! YOU WERE BRAVER THAT NIGHT WITH HER, WEREN'T YOU? YOU WERE BRAVER WHEN SHE WAS BEGGING YOU TO STOP! YOU FREAKING ASSHOLE!" Another punch on my stomach. And then a kick I think. And then Emily took Daniel out of the cafeteria.

DANIEL'S POV:

Every each cell in my body was craving to kill him right there. My hands were shaking as Emily took my out of the cafeteria, out in the garden. She was shivering too and crying. When we were far away enough from the building she turned her face to me and punched me on my chest several times.

"You promised! You promised you wouldn't do this! You promised me that day when you fought! You promised you wouldn't do the same!" she shouted at me. Punctuating every word with a punch on my chest. It wasn't the punches that hurt but her shivering voice. I held her wrists tight trying not to hurt her.

"Look at me!" I shouted. Actually I didn't mean to shout but the anger in me did it. She didn't look at me. I tried again this time with a pleading whisper. "Look at me..." Her head got up and I met her wet eyes. "I'm sorry. I couldn't handle myself. I know I promised you but...I just couldn't help it." I whispered.

Wiping her tears away I pulled her to my chest. Holding her tightly. Her sobs were sending shakes to her shoulders. "Sshh...It's OK." I whispered through her hair. I somehow knew that she wasn't crying over her madness to me but because she freaked out. It was the first time she had seen me that furious.

We stood there without even moving an inch. We were swaying back and forth slowly. She slowly took her head up and looked directly in my eyes. "Better now?" I whispered and she answered with a nod. I leaned over and left a small, slow, soft kiss on her wet, salty lips.

THAT EVENING...

EMILY'S POV:

Julie handed me a cup of herbal tea and sat beside me on the bed. "Thanks Julie." I mumbled holding the hot cup in my hands. "What for? Making you tea?' she asked with a teasing voice.

"Not just that. I know you had a conference to listen today but instead you came here. Thanks." I said. "You needed me and I came. You'd do the same if I was in this condition." she said and hugged me.

"I'm tired, I really am. At one side there's Chris who I had been living for months. He was the one -of course after you- who helped me to hold on. He cured my emotions, fixed my heart but then ruined it all. And at the other side there's Daniel who I lost years ago and found again. It feels like he's the one but seeing Chris break down every second hurts."

Julie listened to me with patience and then answered "It's natural that it hurts but you have to get used to the idea that he hurt you, in a worse way." She was right. He was the one who did this to us. But still...

"Oh god! Can't believe it!" Julie mumbled as she searched her backpack. "What's wrong?" I asked curiously. "Emy, I left my cell phone's charging kit at campus library and I need it. I'll take my car go and come back as fast as I can. OK?" she asked concerned. "Doesn't matter take your time." I answered smiling.

***

I was trying to read a book when I heard weird noises coming from the balcony. It was like someone was breaking the twigs of the tree. As it was late at night the only option popped in my head was THIEF!

I slowly reached for my cell phone and holding it tightly in my hand with the police's number dialed I reached for the curtain that was hiding my balcony. Before I could draw the curtain the balcony door burst opened and a pair of feet landed on the floor.

I was about to scream when I saw Chris trying to push the curtain away. "What the...!! You scared the hell out of me!! What are you doing in here!?!?!" I shouted at him. He walked beside me as I went on complaining and covered my mouth with his hand.

I was terrified that he would do something to me so I started struggling. "Hey! Calm down! I'm just here to talk. And the tree was the only way in." He removed his hand and stood there waiting for an answer. I walked to my bed, sat down and went back to my book. "Go away in the way you came in. There'll be no talking!"

"I can't go. I have to explain myself to you..." he said and came closer to the bed. "What is it I see in your eyes Chris? Fear, pain, remorse?" I asked calmly. "All." he whispered.

"I hate seeing them in your eyes. Believe me I do." I said and pulled my legs to my body so that he could sit. He ran his hands on my covers and whispered "We used to sleep here snuggled up. I used to watch you as you slept and just left thousands of kisses to your face. I miss you lips, I miss your hair, I miss your scent, I miss holding you in my arms, I miss the feeling you gave me when you were beside me."

"I didn't want it to be like this. It wasn't me who drove us apart. It was you." I whispered trying to hold back my tears. "I know and I want to make this up. I can't live like this. You were the one who found me when I was about to get lost in my own darkness. You were the one who made me work on university instead of singing in the bars. And now I feel like I'm going back to that darkness."

I studied his face as he told these. It was full of scars because of the fight. And pain was visible in his green eyes. His words were stinging my heart, piercing it into pieces. "Give me, give us a chance." he whispered, pleading.

I shook my head, tears were already flowing down. "I can't." I whispered covering my face with my hands. "You know you miss me, you know you love me. Don't do this to us." he said and removed my hands from my face.

CHRIS' POV:

Her shoulders were shaking and her cheeks were all wet. Her hands that I was holding were trembling and wet too. I was the one who was doing this. I knew it was time for me to leave her alone but my heart wouldn't let me.

I left her hands and held her face instead. I was sitting right next to her in the bed. Without a second thought I put my lips on hers. She tasted salty because of the tears falling rapidly on her lips. After days it was just fantastic feeling her lips on mine. She didn't pull back but instead held my cheeks with her trembling hand.

I pulled away before she did and looked at her. I couldn't talk but waited for an answer. "I shouldn't have done that." she mumbled. I didn't care about it. She was all I needed. "Sshh..." I whispered and lowered my head again. As our lips met again she mumbled "Chris, I can't." I mumbled back brushing my lips to hers "Just let yourself be." Somehow she kissed me back.

EMILY'S POV:

Even though my mind was shouting me to stop I just couldn't. It was like his lips were magnetic and they were pulling me towards him. After all he had been my boyfriend for over 6 months and this feeling was so familiar.

Maybe I was trying to keep that kiss as long as I could because somehow, deep inside I kinda knew it would be the last. On the other hand maybe I was just trying to make him happy for a few seconds. Yes, it hurts to see him sad. Even though I know it was his mistake it just hurt.

As I was about to pull away the door burst opened and Julie came inside with Daniel right beside her! I closed my eyes and started swearing with my inner voice.

***

Here you see how your life can turn upside down in a day...poor Emily :(

Let me know what you think about the chapter

Love you all :))

xx

Amortentia :))