Ch. Sixty-Nine

Tying my hair back, I gazed speculatively at the bruise on the side of my face. Then, I looked at the fingernail scratches all along my arms and the bite mark on my shoulder before looking back at my face. The bruise made me looked washed out, my eyes haggard.

My gaze was drawn to Shane when he stood behind me. His eyes were on the bite mark, and I rasped, "I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not going to turn."

"Would it make you mad if I asked if you're okay?" he asked quietly, meeting my eyes in the mirror.

A wan little smile tugged at the corner of my mouth and I turned around, looking up at him. Immediately, he touched the bruise, careful not to press too hard. Closing my eyes, I said, "No. It wouldn't. But I can't give you any other answer than what I told you yesterday."

"I just keep thinking..." he trailed off, closing his eyes and I leaned into him, the uninjured side of my face pressing into his chest.

He wrapped his arms around me, kissing the top of my head, and I said, "That's a game that never gets won, Shane. You know that."

He sighed, then put his fingers under my chin, tilting my face up to kiss me. We both started a little when there was a knock and I turned in the circle of his arms, just as the door cracked open, Sacha peering in.

I wanted to giggle a little at his almost wary look, but when he saw us standing there, he let the door swing open. He pushed his hair out of his face, and I made a mental note to give him a hair cut some time today, before he said, "We have breakfast."

Both Shane and I blinked, then looked at each other before looking back at Sacha. He frowned, a small divot appearing between his eyebrows as he said, "Aaron found a garden. There are strawberries and--"

He was cut off when Shane said, "By himself?"

Sacha blinked, his eyes going to the side as his frown turned into a scowl. He shifted on his feet and said, "I think so. Early this morning. That's what he said anyway."

"Who was on watch?" Shane asked, his voice a low growl, and I nudged him with my elbow.

He made a small hissing sound at me, then repeated his question. Sacha looked down and muttered, "Me."

Shane opened his mouth, then frowned. We both did. Sacha has senses sharper than a cat's most of the time. He always hears things before any of the rest of us, so Aaron being able to slip out past Sacha was... let's go with concerning.

He scuffed his boot along the wooden floor and said, "I'm sorry, Shane. I swear, if I'd--"

"No," Shane interrupted, shaking his head. "I wouldn't have wanted you trying to stop him."

"Shane," I sighed. I rubbed at my eyes. "He brought back strawberries." I raised an eyebrow and said, tone dry, "Very sinister."

He shot me a foul look, then headed toward the door, but I beat him to it. I ruffled Sacha's hair and he huffed at me, but I was already past him, too. I heard Shane hiss my name, then sigh. I grinned a little to myself.

I thought it was best if I was there to play referee between Shane and Aaron up until things worked themselves out. Which generally meant getting to any space that Aaron currently occupied before Shane did, or vice versa.

If I'm honest, that became a little exhausting after a while.

I went lightly down the stairs, then turned into the open space of the bottom floor, looking across the room to the brightly lit kitchen area. Cassidy caught my eye and waved a half-eaten, bright red berry at me.