Ch. Thirty-Four

Kyle started the grave but Shane finished it. He practically dug the whole thing by himself. Something was eating at him, and it was hard for me to watch.

At the same time, it was impressive to see just how much dirt he could move by himself.

Danielle just asked for the one grave. She said they would want to stay together.

Shane was up to his waist when I went over to Kyle. I opened my mouth, but Kyle was already shaking his head. Speaking into my ear, he said, "Talk to him later. Not here. Not in front of everyone."

I bit my lip but nodded, still watching Shane dig. When he was satisfied, he tossed the shovel up, and Kyle pulled him out of the grave. He came over and stood next to me. 

He didn't say a word.

When Kyle and Danielle picked up the first body he turned to me and said, "Come on. They'll finish up here. Let's go and get what we came to get."

I hesitated, but Shane grabbed my hand and pulled me along. I turned and looked over my shoulder to find Danielle helping Kyle get the other girl into the grave, and Brayden watching the two of us go back into the store.

We went down through the aisles picking up cans and boxes, anything we could find that might be useful. It wasn't a lot, but it wasn't nothing. I even found what Vik was looking for. I laughed softly, but my momentary triumph was swallowed up and forgotten when I looked at Shane and he was staring blankly at the blood all down the front of him.

"I guess Vik will have to take my watch," I said, putting the canned pineapple into my bag. Shane looked up at me, frowning. He still didn't say anything, though.

I pointed my flashlight toward the ceiling, reading the signs that were hanging over the different sections of the store. I turned sharply and started walking toward the back of the store, my flashlight just barely reaching a sign that read 'clothing'.

"Raleigh!" Shane hissed, catching up to me. His flashlight swept over the floor and I suspected he was looking for more bodies.

I kinda smiled at him, and kept going until I found a jean wall. I nodded my head and Shane sighed wearily. "It's fine, Raleigh."

I raised an eyebrow. "Who said this is about you? The blood stinks." 

Shane hesitated, shaking his head and I crossed my arms. "Either you can take your pants off, or I will."

I frowned and shook my head and Shane actually cracked a smile. Finally flipping through the jeans, he asked, "Is that a promise or a threat?"

I pushed his shoulder. "That's not what I meant. It just sounded better in my head."

"Oh, I don't know." Shane smirked. "It sounded pretty good comin' out of your mouth."

"Yeah, well," I answered, looking around at the other clothes, "maybe if you change into clean clothes your luck will improve later."

I looked back at him when he didn't snark back. I waited until he had changed, then finally managed to work up the nerve to ask, "Are you okay?"

"Are any of us?" Shane said. He used a shirt to clean the blood off his hands, then sighed and sat on the floor to put his boots back on.

I just waited. I wasn't going to push.

Shane tightened the laces, yanking hard on the knots, then he rested his elbows on his knees, staring just a little past me. I sat cross-legged in front of him, still waiting. Idly, I wondered how long it would take before the others came looking, or if Kyle would keep them away.