Ch. Four

My phone was somewhere at the bottom of my bag, so I watched as Shane pulled his from his pocket. He frowned, then handed the phone to me.

The text read 'The base has been temporarily shut down. No civilian or military personnel are to leave the base. Any personnel living on base are advised to return to their quarters immediately.'

I looked up at Shane. "The base has been shut down?" I frowned and shook my head. "That was a stupid question. How about has the base ever been shut down before? And also why is it shutting down?"

Shane shrugged. "I don't think it's been shut down before but don't take my word for it. As far as why they most likely aren't going to tell us."

I bit at the inside of my cheek, feeling my eyebrows pull together. "Well then, I guess you should head back to your apartment. That's what the order said right?"

Shane huffed out a laugh. "Not sure that was an order per say." He paused and looked at me. "You don't live on base do you?"

I shrugged and sat in my desk chair with my legs folded under me. "I'll just hang out here until they let people leave again."

Shane pursed his lips and looked at his watch. "What time do you get off?"

I looked up in surprise. "I get off at five. But what does that have to do with anything?"

Shane rubbed at the back of his neck and worry started to bubble in my stomach. I mean, only one kind of question could follow that one, right?

He scratched at his cheek, and said, "I was just thinking you could hang with me and my brother until everything settles down and opens back up."

I opened my mouth, caught off guard by his offer. I didn't really relish the idea of staying here in the clinic, but wasn't sure it would be appropriate for me to accept.

Shane saw me hesitate and said, "Come on. This might last a couple days. We've got showers. And free food. And a bed you can crash on."

Now I was definitely tempted, but still a little unsure. I just didn't think it was exactly professional.

That makes me laugh a little bit now. That I was worried about how my relationship with a patient would be construed if I left with him. Probably as unprofessional, yeah?

Of course, they would be right, but the world ended so who cares?

Anyway, when I actually looked up to say this, I found Shane watching me with earnest eyes that looked more grey than blue in this light. My words got lost on the way up, and I instead found myself nodding in agreement. 

Shane smiled in triumph and said, "Great. I'll be back to pick you up at the south entrance."

I jumped when the receptionist said, "Go ahead and leave, Rals. All your other appointments have cancelled, so you're free to go."

"Oh. Okay," I looked up at Shane again. "Um, let me just grab my stuff."

"Sure. I'll wait. Oh!" Shane paused as something occurred to him. "What about your car? There's kind of limited parking around my place."

I shrugged my backpack up onto my shoulder after checking that I had all my stuff in it. "I can leave my car here. But would you mind stopping by it? I've got a bag with some extra clothes and stuff I'd like to grab."

Shane nodded and held the door open for me. With a sideways smile he asked, "So what? You have like a go-bag?"

I laughed, the PT in me still analyzing his walk. His limp was still there, but it wasn't too bad and he didn't seem to be in any pain. "No. It's just a habit. I'm from Missouri so sometimes the weather can get really bad, really fast out there, and I would never know if I was going to have to stay at a friend's or whatever. So I just always had a bag with a change of clothes and toothbrush and stuff."