Welcome To The City of Dreams

Stepping off the plane at Los Angeles International Airport after a grueling five and a half hours of continuous torture from a twelve year old boy gave me a sudden jolt of short lived happiness. I'd only been on a plane twice in my entire life, and the first time had been when I was far too young to understand what was actually going on. My five year old mind had been so preoccupied with the thought of visiting my grandparents I hadn't even reacted to being up in the air for six hours. The second was when we'd left California for Ohio, and that was a memory I'd blocked out.

The happiness dissipated as soon as I entered the building. Masses of people surrounded me on every side of the large airport. I felt as if I moved in the slightest, I'd find myself in good relations with the ground. Watching a troop of young girls trudge along tiredly after a heavy-set middle aged woman in a pink blouse and shorts that continuously rode up, I checked to make sure the coast was clear before breaking passed them and toward baggage claim. 

Spotting my white and blue duffel and matching suitcase, I grabbed what I could and hid in a small corner outside the women's bathroom to recollect my thoughts and call my brother to get an idea of where in this monstrosity of an airport he was.

Deciding it'd be best if I shot him a text rather than try and strain to hear, I waited patiently until I felt my phone vibrate in my left hand. Bracing myself to move, I stepped back into the crowd of people before me with determination to find my brother at the other end of the airport. By some miracle, I spotted my Ray-Band wearing, incredibly obnoxious older brother waving a sign with my name on it from a mile away. He was oblivious to me nearing him, his head whipping in every direction as he scoured the people around him for my familiar face.

"You looking for someone?" I questioned as I slowed to a stop in front of him, rocking back and forth on the balls of my feet.

He lowered the sign with a small smile. "Arianna?"

I didn't have enough time to set my stuff down before he tackled me in a bear hug, crushing the life out of me.

"Can't. . . breathe." I gasped.

He pulled away, dropping his hands on to my shoulder blades with an infectious, toothy grin. "You've grown so much. You look great!"

It was great to hear he still didn't see me as the pigtail wearing, Minnie Mouse fairy obsessed eight year old he'd left ten years ago. "Thanks. You look good too."

He did look great. He'd grown into his wiry, prepubescent frame. By no surprise, the way the white v-neck hugged his body, he clearly worked out. The nose he'd always insisted would be too big for his face had fallen into perfect proportion with his shining blue eyes and full lips.

"Wow." he shook his head in amazement, folding his sunglasses and hanging them off the collar of his shirt. "I can't believe you're actually here."

Before I could agree with the unbelievable fact, he hugged me again, this time careful not to squeeze too hard.

"You seriously need some sun." he commented. Pulling away, he held my arm out before him and examined it as he would a science experiment. "I know where our first destination on the tour of this place is going to be."

"Phillip." I pushed my finger into the dimple on his left cheek. "I'm dying of thirst and getting a bit claustrophobic. Is there any way we can get out of here?"

He pried my duffel bag from my loose grip and threw it on to his shoulder, dragging my suitcase along behind him despite my protests. "Sure. Buck's got the car out front. We better hurry though, he won't be able to stall forever."