Life of The Party

Phil had always been the most logical of the Bennett boys, analyzing every aspect of a situation before giving his input on it. Unfortunately, as I trudged through the damp sand behind my brothers, beside Nix, I began to question if my ever so logical brother had been right.

Despite the sun still high in the sky, many of the party goers had started lighting off fireworks. Some so loud and sudden I jumped and rammed into Phoenix. Eventually he tightened his arm around my shoulder's, whispering something about protecting me in my ear, but my mind was still trying to break out of flight or flight mode.

"Do not accept drinks from anyone other than us." Nix said loud enough for my brother's to hear in front of us. "Do not wander off with anyone, male or female. And a beautiful word of wisdom for a first timer, for the love of God do not drink more than you think your body can handle."

"Which is nothing." Phil commented, slowing to a stop in front of us. Sam, Buck, and Hudson followed suit, but Aden continued on ahead. "You can have water or soda. You don't need any alcohol, Ari."

Before I could protest, Hudson nudged Phil and sparked up conversation, forcing us to move again. I threw a look back over my shoulder to find that Damien had changed his mind about coming, and was following close behind his brother and me, head bowed, but back tense. He was clearly listening in, but pretending not to be. As soon as we reached the party, my brothers scattered like field mice and Nix dropped his arm and greeted a few girls with a kiss on the cheek and a couple guys with a hug.

"Old high school friends." Damien said softly. "Nothing for you to worry about."

I frowned, shooting him a confused look. "What do you mean?"

"You bite at your lip when you're trying to push your feelings away." Damien answered with a shrug. "Probably why they're so bloody and raw."

Nix reached out and pulled me in before I could respond to his younger brother, introducing me to the group of friends he'd been friendly with. There were too many of them; three girls and two guys. The three girls were all blonde, big boobed, and had smiles so perfect I couldn't help but stand there awkwardly. What struck an even worse chord was that, like Cady, they were the sweetest girls I'd ever met. Not one mean or vindictive bone in their body. The guys were like Phoenix, dark haired, tall, and extraordinarily handsome. Just being around them made me feel insecure, but when I looked back over my shoulder Damien wasn't looking at any of the girls, but me standing awkward under his brother's arm, and despite our fight a few hours ago, it made me feel a little better.

"Let's go get something to drink." Nix tightened his grip around me again, obviously realizing I was uncomfortable. "We'll catch up with you guys again later."

There was a picnic like table in the eye of a crowd of young adults, open containers of alcohol sitting on top of it, something that would have had everyone in jail back home, but seemed to be the norm out here. Nix poured a mixture of harder alcohols into a red solo and downed it quickly, as if it were a shot rather than a full cup. His face twisted and he coughed once, but turned his back to me to refill it. Once he had another full cup, he grabbed an empty solo cup and filled it to the top with beer from the keg. The right side of his mouth turned upright into a sexy smirk as he approached me again.

"Don't tell Phil or Buck." He whispered, a laugh escaping him moments later. I could see in his eyes that he was already buzzed. The green in them were glossy and dilated, pulsating as he stared down at me in front of him, Just as my fingers locked around the cup, it was torn from my grip. I could tell by the look that crossed Nix's face that it was his brother rather than one of mine.