Chapter 13| Silent and Alone

There were series of loud knocks and Sana was woken from her sleep. She opened her eyes and frowned staring at the ceiling fan.

How did a fan get here? - Sana thought. There was another knock. Sana groaned realizing she was in India.

She sat up rubbing her face with her palms. 'Come in.' She said and sighed. The door opened, and Saba walked in. Sana looked at her and noted she was also dressed in her casuals. That means she was here in the room. She turned her head and noticed the side next to her on the bed was messy, that means she had even slept beside her. But Sana didn't feel anything. She must have been in a very deep sleep.

'Finally, you are awake. I thought you died.' Saba spoke dryly. Sana guessed she was still angry. And she has all the rights after her elder sister had spoken so rudely to her.

'Saba, I-'

Before she could complete Saba spoke, - 'Dinner is ready.' She turned around and walked away. Sana folded her leg and sighed placing her elbow on her knee and held her forehead with her palm.

*****************************

Dinner was silently awkward one. Sana didn't even look up from her plate. After dinner, she sat on the stairs outside the main door. The gentle February breeze calmed her. She felt the breeze caress her face brushing aside side bangs from her forehead. She gazed up at the starry night. The Delhi night past mid-night was silent in their locality except for occasional dogs howling or barking. Must be because of the cold, Sana thought. She shivered little but the blue cardigan she wore over her night Tee was enough to keep her warm. She pulled the sleeves with her fingers covering her fists and wrapped her arms around herself. She sighed.

Sana liked it this way, silent and alone. Maybe she was indeed an introvert. Maybe she would never have been like this. Had her father been with her; and with her family complete she would have been like Saba or Alishba. She smiled recollecting Alishba and Aahil. She lowered her gaze.

Sana wondered sadly if she would ever find her prince charming? Will she too get love and attention the way Aahil showered on Alishba or will she be forever alone?

A few minutes later, Sana felt someone sit beside her. She quickly wiped the lone tear from the corner of her left eye, sniffed and shifted little.

'Beta.' Her mother called softly. Slowly, Sana looked at her. She smiled sadly forwarding her a bowl. Sana looked down and realized it was kheer. Her favorite sweet dish. She looked up again into her mother's teary eyes.

You are not alone, Sana. You are just making yourself alone – A rational part of her brain spoke to her.

But they broke my family, they separated me from my father – The emotional part argued.

'Thank you.' Sana said taking the bowl from her hand. Mrs. Shah smiled sadly. She looked ahead.

'I shouldn't have said you anything.' She said and sighed. Sana was about to eat but paused mid-way. Without eating she dropped the spoon back into the bowl.

Mrs. Shah turned her head and looked lovingly at her daughter, - 'I didn't want to keep you in dark that is why I told you about your father.' She said. Sana pressed her lips tightly. Mrs. Shah sighed, - 'Anyway, you have come home after so long, at least don't create any scene.' Her tone soft.

Sana placed the bowl next to her and looked at her mother, - 'I wasn't very keen to come here. Only because Alishba has invited us to her wedding and I don't want her or anyone else to know about our family problems. We must travel together to not make things suspicious. Else-', - She stood up and adjusted the sleeves of her cardigan, she looked down at her mother, - 'I am going to sleep.' She said dryly and without waiting for any response she turned around and walked away.

*****************************

Next morning, Saba and Sana reconciled. Sana was happy that her little sister forgave her. After breakfast, Sana dropped by Alishba's place only to realize they had already left for Goa for her destination engagement. Only a few more days were remaining for the big event. Sana was little disappointed because Alishba and Saba were the only two people who can make her stay bearable.

For the rest of the two days, Sana was mostly locked up in her room. Only occasionally coming out. And whenever she came face to face with Mr. Shah she would cringe and run back to her room. Even looking at his face made her feel annoyed.

****************************

Poor Sana. What do you guys think, is she making herself lonely or is she right on her part? And It's good that the two sisters patched up *smiles* and guys, it's Goa time. Destination Engagement *_*

And Engagement mein Bride's Brother toh hoga hi na *winks*

Excited for further Chapters? Stay tuned ;) Drop your thoughts in the comments, please *smiles*