Chapter 7| Handsome Tutor

Next day, Saba lay flat on her stomach on the bed, her legs up and feet swaying to the music playing on the walk-man beside her, Agatha Christie novel in her hand. She chewed on potato chips, a bowl full of chips beside her. She looked up when she heard the bathroom unlock and open. Sana stepped out wiping her hair with a towel. Saba eyed her sister's spaghetti strapped floral top and white three quarters pants.

'What are you wearing?' She sat up on her knees and blinked at her sister. Sana simply grinned while walking towards the dressing table. Saba gaped at her as Sana blow-dried her hair.

'Tell na, where are you going?'

Sana clicked her tongue in annoyance. 'I am going to Alishba's place.' She replied applying mascara. Saba's mouth dropped an inch more. Sana had always been look-conscious but never got so meticulously ready for Alishba's place. Saba watched her sister comb her chest-nut brown shoulder-length hair and tie it with a small clutch in a half-up hairstyle. She applied kohl in her eyes. Sana recollected Daanish's hazel eyes and compared it with her black eyes. She realized both the siblings, Daanish and Alishba have same eye color and hair.

Saba frowned on seeing her sister smile to herself. She placed her hands on her hips and pressed her lips tightly.

'What?' She said, and Sana was startled. She glared at her sister and then got back to brushing her hair.

Ignoring her sister's gaze, Sana flung the sling of her bag on her shoulder and adjusted the sling. She sat on the bed and wore her sneakers.

'I am going to Alishba's place. I might stay over.' She informed. Saba nodded. It was not unusual for Sana to stay over at Alishba's place especially when they had reached higher classes and their exams were near.

'Why are you telling me? Tell our parents.' Saba replied falling on the bed again. Sana froze, her fingers hovering over the doorknob. She closed her eyes and exhaled deeply.

'You tell them, also tell them to not worry about me.' She said dryly and without waiting for a response, she walked out of the room. In anger, she almost slammed the door shut.

******************************

Sana climbed down her cycle. She fished out a hand mirror and fixed her hair. Damn! The sweat. She fished out wet tissues and wiped her face and neck. Then dapped some perfume.

TING TONG....

Aasma opened the door. She smiled at Sana. Even though Sana was slightly disappointed she doesn't show it on her face. They greeted each other and Aasma gestured her inside. Mr. Ali was out of town for business work, he has his own pharmaceutical company. Usually, Sana stays over when he was out. This time, she has other intentions of staying over. Aasma looked at her backpack and with the bulging look of it, she guessed about her stay.

'Sorry, Aunty. You know, right. Exams.' Sana apologized adjusting the sling on her backpack.

'No problem, sweetie.' Aasma said warmly. Sana smiled back.

Alishba came from her room and excitedly greeted Sana. Sana felt slightly awkward when she pointed out about her dress and Kajal. For a moment she wondered if she was overly dressed but the minute she entered Daanish's room and saw him at the table with the books she knew it was okay.

'Umm... Alishba, water please.' Sana touched her throat pretending to have a parched throat. Alishba nodded. Sana felt slightly bad as she turned around walking out of the room. Then, she turned back and adjusted her hair, tugged her top little and cleared her throat.

'Hey-Hey!' Sana mentally cursed for sounding hoarse. Daanish turned around, he placed his arm on the back of the chair and smiled at her.

'Oh, hey!' He tilted his head back and Sana smiled back. She walked up to the table and placed her bag on the bed.