Chapter Thirty Eight: Coping

-=Evan=-

"Weak." He punched me again, harder this time. "Pathetic." Again. By now I was on the floor. "Fucking wake me up again when your tearing through this house I'll aim a little bit lower than your stomach. If you even have a pair..." He growled, walking off while still mumbling under his breath.

-<☆>-

I woke up in a cold sweat, the sheets around my curled up form were damp. I bolted upright, paranoid at every little tick and creak of the building around me. I sat there in the dead silence, ears strained to the maximum, listening for anything, anything at all. I could hear whispering, and so panicked, I slowly got out of my bed and walked into the main part of the dorm.

Alex was sleeping at his place tonight. His room mate, Josh, was hosting a little get together for him and his friends, so I was on my own for the night. Normally I would have been fine with this, I mean, no matter how balls-deep in love you are, you still want the occasional alone time. But tonight was a different story. Continuing towards the direction that I heard the whispers from, I passed through the kitchen. On my way by, I quietly pulled a chef knife from my knife block. I held it close to my body [Hehe, see what I did there?] and clutched it for dear life, which to be honest, my life was probably on the table.

I could still hear the whispering to my left, even though it was a bit quieter than before. Slowly and cautiously I maneuvered my way through the living room area in the pitch black dark, feeling around with my spare paw to navigate my way. Eventually I hit the door to the hallway and realized that the voices I was hearing were from out there. Spying through the peephole I double checked, and sure enough, two furs were walking extremely slowly down the hall, probably wasted as hell. I know that it was at that point I should have relaxed, I mean, I wasn't in any imediate danger or anything, but I couldn't. I just couldn't.

I slid against my back against the door until I was sitting, leaning back against it. Holding the blade with both paws, I calmed my breathing down and just sat there. I don't know when I fell asleep again, but eventually it happened and I drifted off lightly into a dream-filled slumber.

-<☆>-

"I'll fucking kill you! The second I get out of whatever hell hole they lock me up in this time! I'll find you! I'll find your friends!" My father shouted as he was dragged out by two police officers. I sat, curled and leaning against the wall, sitting on the floor. My father always keeps his promises...

-<☆>-

I awoke to the light from the sun poking through my windows and setting up shop on my eyelids. I had fallen asleep on the ground in front of my door, on top of the knife.

"Hm. Well, that would have been a fun way to wake up, if only I had turned over..." I said to no one but myself. I stood up and walked back to the kitchen to pu the knife back away. But as I was sliding the sharp-ponted blade bsck into the knife block, I hesitated for a second. It didn't feel quite right to be returning to little defenseless Evan. But I had a better plan in mind. I slipped the knife back into it's rightful place and walked over to my room. Digging around for a few seconds underneath my bed, I found my box. Pulling it out, I opened it and started to rummage through it, bypassing the alcohol and razor blades and grabbing the bundle of cash I had rubber banded together for an emergency. I guess this kind of qualifies as one. Was I over reacting? Nah, this counts.

Next I grabbed my car keys and my phone and set out to the closest sporting goods store. When I arrived, I headed to the back of the store. There is where I met a black bear [I was low key going to make him a deer, but I felt that would be cruel xD. While I have your attention, please please please give me unique ideas for this story, I hit writer's block. Maybe if I get good suggestions I will do another super long chapter for 2k reads...] attending the camping and hunting section of the store. Here is where they sold all of the guns.

"Anything I can help you with?" He asked me.

"Yeah, can I have that one?" I asked pounting to a standard black Glock-19.

"Sure, I just need to see your driver's license." He said, pulling the pistol out of the case. I slid my driver's license to him on the counter, the little pistol logo on it signifying that I was already registered. I took a shooting class my senior year of high school and that required us to get certified, so here I was. Never thought I'd have to put that class to use some day. "Everything seems to be in order." He said, sliding me back my license. "That will be $539.99." He said, bagging the firearm. I handed him the correct amount of cash and he printed my receipt. "I'm going to need your signature here." He told me, handing me a pen and handing me my registration papers. I signed them, and started to walk out. My new pistol, as well as a complimentary box of ammo and a holster in a bag, swaying at my side. On my way to the exit I passed by a familiar face. Brandon was looking at a rac of clothing, going through all of the jerseys.

"Hey Brandon." I said, walking over to him.

"Oh hey Evan, what's in the bag?" He asked, pointing to it.

"Only a pistol." I casually replied.

"'Only' a pistol." He sarcastucally reponded. "What for?"

"To kill my father if he shows up." I said, pinning my ears back.

"What happened with your father?" He asked. Almost instantly after he asked the question his eyes widened as he realized he has just stabbed a touchy subject. "Oh my God I'm sorry, you don-"

"Yeah I do." I said, cutting him off. I proceeded to tell him the story of my father and how he got incarserated.

"Oh Jeez Evan. Here, tell ya what. You clearly haven't slept that much recently. No offense, but you look terrible. I'll call everyone up and we'll come over your place and stay the night, we'll keep you safe."

"Th-Thank you so much, I can't begin to tell you how much that means to me." I stammered out, leaping forward and hugging him. At least if he comes tonight I won't be alone.