Chapter Twenty Six: Waiting

-=Jason=-

"...Intussusception." The doctor said. The word didn't ring a single bell in my head, so when you don't know something, inquire within.

"Intuss...wha?" I said, unsure about the diagnosis that we were given.

"Intussusception is when something has blocked off part of the intestines, making it impossible for anything to pass through. We believe that this is occuring in Mr. Black and thag the built up blockage has also caused some internal bleeding, which is very serious and we need to rush him into surgery imediately." The doctor explained. I personally could not believe what the hell I was hearing, but the words "internal bleeding" definitely scared the shit out of me. [I no joke really want a raw steak rn, me mouth be watering O.o]

"Will he be okay?" Was the only question that I could think to ask.

"We aren't sure, it is all 100% dependant on how far gone his already dire situation is, which again, is why it is paramount that we get to work now, all we need is your consent to the operation." The doctor said.

"Well of course you have our consent, fix him." I replied, waving him on.

"Well don't you want to hear how it's going to be performed?" She aaked. But it wansn't I who responded, in fact it was Summer.

"I don't give a shit if you're summoning Lucifer himself in that OR, as long as you fucking fix him. You are the one with a PhD of course." I could sense the impatience coming out of Summer's voice. I do have to hand it to her, she did make a good point. Leave the questioning alone at consent and just get to work after that. Especiallybbecause of how urgent Evan's situation was and how fast they needed to get to action.

"Of course..." The doctor said before knocking three times on the hospital room' wooden door, allowing a whole team of nurses to flood in to transport him.

"Sorry ma'am, sir." A tall coyote nurse said. Both Aummer and I looked up at him at the same time. "But I'm going to gave to ask you two to wait in the waiting room, we need to clear the area. We nodded and left the nurses to their jobs, stealing one last glimpse of the little black wolf that was named Evan Black. This may be the last time that I see him alive. I thought. I guess that we just have to wait and see how it goes and all pans out. We'll just have to be here, waiting.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=Summer=-

Seven. Hours. Seven hours. Seven fucking hours in a cloth-covered wooden chair that seemed to be getting even harder and more uncomfortable by the second. Everytime the door would seing open, Jason and I's eyes would dart up, hopefully wishing for answers. Good answers.

"I knew that surgeries took a long time, but I never thought that this would take this long!" Jason said in exasperation, buring his face into his arms. I reached over and started rubbing his back to soothe him, which seemed to help a little bit. However, unlike him, I was sitting with perfect posture, unable to think. Unable to feel.

But finally, after what had felt like been years, the two doors that led into the ER opened, and this time it was for us. The same doctor as before, Dr. Chatte, came out with a pulled down mask and her eyes scanning a clipboard.

"Group for Evan black?" She called out into the semi-silent ER waiting room. [I had no way to make that not sound like a dinner reservation being called out, sorry.] Jason and I jumped out of our seat and headed over to the doctor, and I don't know about Jason but I was trembling in anticipation. "Follow me please." She said, then turned and walked back through the doors. Jason and I followed in a silent pursuit until we feached what looked to be a recovery room. The doctor sat down in one of four chairs outside of the room against the hallway wall and the both of us did the same, resting into the same kind of chair as before. Dr. Chatte turned to look at us.

"So I have good news and bad news, which would you like to hear first." She said calmly, resting her paws in her lap. For some reason this did not give me a good feeling.

"Bad." Jason said from behind me.

"Well the bad news is that he didn't respond well to the surgery, his organs are very much not okay right now." I clenched my teeth as hard as possible when she said that, but kept my composure. "...The good news is, however, that this happens with a lot of furs who undergo this surgery, and 90% of the time it all turns out okay, so we will just have to keep a very close eye on him for the next week or so to make sure he stays in good condition. Otherwise, the operation was a complete success." At those words a huge weight of stress was lifted off of my shoulders and a new wave of relief flooded over me.

"Can we go in and see him?" I asked nervously.

"Of course, just be careful with him and don't touch any of the equipment." She replied standing up to get back to work on other patients.

Jason and I rushed inside and to the bed, wires running from multiple monitors and machines and under the blankets to a sleeping figure, Evan. He laid there so peacefully, as if nothing was wrong at all. All we could see was his head, his ears down and eyes firmly shut, he was also snoring softly, which was a bit cute. The rest of his body was under a tucked in white blanket, covering every last inch of him.

We both sat down in chairs next to him, Jason was stroking Evan's fur, almost as if he was begging for him to wake up, although that wouldn't happen, he was still in a medically induced coma. I looked down at a shape that on the outside looked like he could jump up and run a marathon, but on the inside was as fragile as a house of cards. We weren't quite out of the woods yet...