Chapter 29

I woke up to a pair of shorts and a shirt landing on my face. My peaceful dream cut short.

"Time to get up." Hunter abruptly declared, then swiftly turned and waltzed into the washroom without another word.

Stiffly, I sat up with a groan, my bones protesting in response. The stress from 'The Hunting' still lingered throughout my body. I wasn't used to healing so slow and it was becoming seriously frustrating.

I stood up and tittered towards the mirror above the dresser. I was still in my red dress, thank god, but my hair had managed itself into what looked like a bird's nest on top of my head.

I had slept uncharacteristically well last night. I felt safe and secure being in Hunter's arms, like even if the whole world fell apart that night he'd somehow protect us.

I sighed. What had I gotten myself into?

I remember reading about an experiment conducted on dogs. They received unavoidable shocks of electricity, at the beginning they struggled to escape, but after a while they just gave up and laid down, taking shock after shock. Perhaps my mother was correct that I would learn to become submissive and that it was already happening.

But deep down, in a part I didn't want to recognize, I knew I liked being held down. I liked that Hunter wouldn't let me go. I didn't want to leave, I was tired of running, but I was obligated to. Because of my pack, of my deceased family, of my grandma, of everything I was before him. I had to run, or at least try.

I heard the shower go in the bathroom. Quickly I stripped the stale dress from my body and put on the shorts and shirt. They were black and fit me well, the shirt had long sleeves and were tight but not restrictive. I liked them.

I threw my messy hair into a ponytail. I knew where we were going. Hunter was going to be a super cool badass and train with his warriors while I was going to be stuck behind with the pups.

Too soon did Hunter emerge from the steamy bathroom. He came out in a rush, like he perhaps believed I had tried to bolt while he was in there. He relaxed once his eyes landed on me, then like he realized what he was doing he grunted and walked across the room like nothing had happened.

My eyes nearly melted from my skull when I saw he was only wearing a towel wrapped low on his hips. I could see every hard inch of muscle that covered him, he was an Alpha through and through. Little drops of water still clung to his skin, I watched some roll down his chest, past his navel and be absorbed by the towel before going to far.

That's when I could really see his tattoos.

The marks of a Red Druid Alpha.

They were pitch black and covered his back and upper torso, slightly trailing down his arms. They were intricate, but somehow didn't look delicate. They felt strong, powerful... dominate. Almost as if Hunter was wearing an invisible crown labelling him the boss. I wanted to touch them, follow each line with my finger, finding where it began and ended.

I looked up and Hunter was grinning down at me. My cheeks flourished a bright red and I quickly redirected my eyes somewhere else. He caught me practically drooling over his body and it made me angry that he knew how he affected me so much.

"The Luna traditionally receives a similar tattoo once fully integrated into the pack." Hunter started towards me, his stance predatory. He quickly ate up the space between us never breaking eye contact.

"It'll start here." He said in a husky voice, his hand curling lightly around the back of my neck. "And trail all the down here." His fingertips sweeping down my spine leaving a trail of fire, only finding rest just above my tailbone.