The growling ceased and I kept my head bowed. I held my breath as Caleb kept stalking toward me. Each footfall had my heart stutter dangerously.

I heard a rough exhale in front of me and knew he had stopped. He was taller than a wild wolf but he was still a foot shorter than my five foot four frame. I lowered myself in front of him, biting my lip to keep my hurt pride at bay from reestablishing my now ruined reputation.

The harsh noises had stopped but he was pacing me, circling me. He occasionally neared to sniff me.  At one point he nibbled the top of my ear and I had to restrain myself from letting out a low growl. Alpha, alpha heir, I don't care what he is, he had no right to treat me like that but without my wolf I let it go. I couldn't risk starting another fight.

That is, until he started getting fresh with me. Nibbling my ear is one thing but licking just below my collarbone and just above my breast is another. I smacked his nose. He growled at me and I glared at him. I wiped off where he licked and tried calming my heart down. It was beating with a vengeance, filled with anger at his audacity. The fear was long gone once more when it probably should have stayed a while longer because if he tried something like that again we were going to have to go through this entire ordeal again.

I was surprised when I heard a wolfish chuckle. Caleb circled once more before settling next to where I was kneeling and resting his head on my lap. I glared at his head but held my tongue.

After ten minutes of sitting there and finally resigned myself to the fact that Caleb wasn't planning to move any time soon, especially if his low snoring was anything to go by. I absently started petting his head. His fur was smooth and soft. It was truly soft enough for me to wish that my bed was made of it. If it was anyone else I would have voiced that opinion but considering how much I had stroked Caleb's pride today I dreaded him ever finding out.

I was starting to lose feeling in my legs so I shifted so they weren't under me but still tucked in. I continued stroking his fur mindlessly and daydreamed. We were situated under a break in the canopy and sun filtered down. I tilted my head up and closed my eyes to let it warm my face. To acclimate himself to my shift, Caleb rolled a bit so he was on his side, legs away from me, and continued snoring peacefully.

I took a deep breath to remember the tranquility of the moment, knowing that this is probably the only time it will ever happen with Caleb. I paused, confusion transforming my features. The forest felt like pine and rich damp earth. What I couldn't understand was my inability to smell Caleb. I leaned down, trying to sniff him and still couldn't grasp his scent. I tried taking a few loose hairs from his coat and realized they smelled like pine and earth. He smelled exactly like this forest.

Comforted with the fact that, no, my nose was not dysfunctional, I let the pace overtake me and drifted into sleep.

When I woke up the light was fading and it was cooler out. My eyes were still sleepy but I realized Caleb's head was still on my lap but he had transformed into his human shape. Sensing my stirring, Caleb rolled onto his back and was probably looking up at me.

"You done sniffing me you pervert?" he asked in mock offense.

I didn't even bother to deny it and told him flat out, "You smell like dirt," rather groggily. This was me when I first woke up: painfully blunt.

"Now I know you could have said that more eloquently," he said condescendingly.

"And I know you could use a shower," I responded, my voice flat. Before he could hand out a comeback I shoved him of my legs and staggered to an upright position like a newborn fawn. Pins and needles were surging through my right leg and I grimaced as I tried to move it. I settled for waiting and wiping off whatever pine needles had gotten stuck to me.