Chapter 17

New chapter YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for taking two weeks, hope you're not too mad! I have an extra long chapter for you today and I ran out of back up pages :( I need to catch up again!!

I'll try not to be so depressingly tired! I swear I've been walking in a daze lately and it's annoying! Hopefully it's just my monthly "magic" because that's just about over now and I will schedule myself an hour and half (or something to that effect) to write write write write write!!!!!!!

I'm trusting I'll remember to do that this weekend. 

Anyway enjoy the chapter!!! Love you all!! Vote COMENT and fan :)

**************

I woke up the next morning sweating profusely. I couldn't explain it. I didn't have a nightmare. I had slept beautifully actually. Yesterday had been wonderful, wonderfully boring. But for some reason it felt like I was in a sauna.

I flung the covers off and spent a few minutes just lying on my back trying to cool off. I gulped down air but it wasn't much cooler than me. Summer was just hitting its peak and I already craved winter.

When I realized that this wasn't helping me I climbed out of bed. I had to peel the damp sheets off my back and as soon as I stood I felt confined in my clothes. I needed a shower that much was obvious.

I turned the shower on, turning the knob so it was only slightly colder than usual, but it was still too warm. I twitched the knob lower and lower until it was nearly freezing and then stood there. I felt so much better already. I didn't want to leave this freezing rain but I knew I had to at some point so I stopped the water after about a half hour and wrapped a towel around myself. I filtered through the drawers for the lightest clothes possible. I managed a spaghetti strap shirt and a short loose skirt. As soon as I put it on I knew I had to forego the bra and unclipped the confining article, thrusting it back into the drawer like I was banishing a demon. Whoever invented such a torturous piece of clothing was absolutely insane. I smoothed my hands over my front. It wasn't like I even needed one. I fiddled with my hair so it covered my chest but knew that I wouldn't be able to last long with it on my neck. Today was just too hot for that, and it was only morning.

I walked past Flapjacks who was snoring heavily by my bed and out into the hallway. It sounded like everyone was still sleeping so I quickly whipped my hair into a bun. The back of my neck was sweating and I wiped it roughly. Why was it so hot so early? I growled to myself and grumpily made myself some cereal. Munching on the dry flakes did nothing for my mood. I think the only thing that would have helped was getting right back in that shower and staying there. Although it was probably a stupid idea, I was seriously considering going back to the stream of death and life threatening situations. A dribble of sweat made its way down my face and dripped with a small plip onto the table. I was definitely going back to that stream if this kept up. I would have to ask about a bathtub in this building. I could probably handle an ice bath with this heat.

Heat.

That word stuck out to me as funny, maybe ironic. I pursed my lips in calm contemplation. It couldn't be could it? But why else would it be called a "heat" if I didn't feel like ripping my skin off because it was so hot. I abandoned my cereal and pushed off the stool. I resorted to circling the house while fanning myself with my hand. When I passed the library I would stop in and use a book. When my fingertips skated along the glass door to the patio I paused and considered going outside. I pulled the door open. I didn't have to go to the creek. I could lie in the grass and cover myself with dew.

That kept me cool enough for about five minutes. After that I had to roll to a new spot every five minutes. The rolling was just making me hotter and so I stood and I power walked to the sound of gurgling water. I dipped my feet in and sat on the bank. I was panting from the heat and every so often splashed water onto my shoulders and knees. The sun that filtered through the canopy felt like it was burning.