Chapter 19

A/N: Hiiiiiiiiiiiii I UPDATED!!! GO me! I seem to be getting back into this. It makes me happy :}

Enjoy, vote COMMENT Fan if you please. I reeeeeaaaalllly love comments though! They make me write faster.

*****************************

"What about it?" I asked nervously. I couldn't expect it to be good. At the very best I could only imagine it being: You're coming with us. I don't know where they would put me, but why would they leave me here right?

"We're not comfortable with you living here," as expected, "There are so many boys your age who could easily take advantage of you and something's just not normal about this place," she said using what was probably the gentlest tone she could muster. Still, Heather was spot on; this place wasn't normal― for humans. The pack dynamic, no matter how disguised would not go unnoticed. It was just too much a part of the culture. I had been absent for five years so I lost all sense of the pack hierarchy. I had to consciously remember to show submission to the alpha at his table. I was lucky he had a sense of humor.

"It's just like any other orphanage just without the paperwork and a tighter― almost familial― bond," I tried.

True as it may be, Heather wasn't buying it. "Don't tell me it's like any other orphanage. I've seen adults living here to and I'm pretty sure that they would be out on the street now in an orphanage. There are full families living here okay? Don't think for a minute I didn't notice these things," she snapped, completely catching my lie.

"And I don't like the way those guys are looking at my big sis," Johnny said protectively.

"They aren't looking at me in any particular fashion. You're just making things up because I can't see," I said convincingly. Honestly they were probably looking at me like they wanted to jump me but that wasn't a normal reaction, my family just came at the wrong time. I mean really, of all the times to visit they choose when I'm having my very first heat. Great timing sibs, great timing.

"Nah ah Eden, you don't see them. We do," Keagan defended.

I thought quickly for a good reason for them to leave the subject alone and let me stay―because I was only planning on staying for another two months anyway― but coming up with nothing I took the blunt route: "Are you planning on making me leave?"

There was silence for a moment but Heather sighed, "No. We wouldn't know where to send you and none of us can take care of you. We just want to make sure you know that this isn't a safe place because you've been acting like it is: walking alone, going outside. We're just worried."

I nodded and said I understood and reassured them that I would move into my own house on disability when I turned eighteen. I had a more than reasonable amount of money in the bank after my adoptive parents died. They were millionaires. They were also never home but they would Skype us and when they were home they were great parents.

I spent the rest of the afternoon with them ―internally dying of heat stroke― and recounted old stories. Like when we all went hiking together and we thought Johnny fell off the cliff because we heard a scream at the bottom of the mountain where he had stopped to . . . relieve himself and saw a bear; and the time when Keagan was caught walking around in a long skirt; and let's not forget the time Heather went to a high school party and went all mother of the year on Keagan when she caught him drinking. He never knew what hit him― at least not for the next four hours while he was out cold.

I missed them. I hadn't realized it because my life had been so frantic since I arrived but I missed their company, their stories, their love; they were my true friends and my only family. They made me feel like I could fit in anywhere, even here where I was as much of an outcast as a werewolf could be without going rogue. I was one of very few blind werewolves and to top it off I lost contact with my wolf (not that anyone knew that last part). I was one of a kind but not in the good way. Caleb would never fully understand me because I lacked a wolf and although Gypsy was my friend ―who was taking a particularly long time getting me that ice― she would never be as close to me as these guys were, even if I couldn't share my heritage with them.