10

"I am home," I announced while getting my coat off. I then hanged it and goes on to remove my shoes. I heard someone coming running.

"Where were you? Why are you so late?" Sherry asked me, following me as I headed to the living room. I sprawled myself on the couch and closed my eyes, putting my arm above my eyes so that I can block the light. I was tired, tired of what was happening to me.

"I took the longer root from Betty's so that I can get some fresh air," I answered her without opening my eyes.

"Did something happen at Betty's?" she asked.

"Why?" I asked her removing my hands to look at her, she was sitting on a coffee table in front of me.

"Well look at you first. That and Luke and Betty came to look for you right after you left. They thought I was lying to them when I told them you weren't here. Luke wanted to barge in and look for you himself, he only agreed to go after I threatened I would call the police," she briefed me and I gave her a weak smile.

"That's so like you," I told her.

"So....did something happen? Are you okay?" she asked. I could sense she was so worried about me and I felt guilty for always making her worry.

"Get me some water, I think I need that first to tell this," I told her as I put myself in a sitting position. I was going numb with all the things that was happening. I was done with everything, done with them. I no longer felt anything right then.

* * *   *

"So what you are saying is that you think Luke and Betty are seeing each other?" she asked calmly after I told her everything.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"I can't let them get away with this," she said, jolting up angrily.

"Let's go, you shouldn't let them get away with this. Betty knew, she knew how much you liked Luke. How can she do this to you, to Kyle, how? Let's go and teach that-that Bitch a lesson!!" she continued while pacing around. I have never seen her that angry. Sherry never swear, like never! So I could tell how pissed she must have been.

"Calm down," I told her reaching out for her hand and make her sit down beside me.

"Beating her up won't solve anything, plus we have better things to do."

"How can you be this calm?" she asked in disbelief with the state I was in. Didn't she just think I was in a worse state five minutes ago!

"Well I guess screaming on the streets really does wonder," I joked, scratching my chin to pretend I was in a deep thoughts. I think I saw a smile on her face, couldn't be sure because it dissapeared as fast as it came.

"I don't understand how you can manage to even joke right now, this isn't you! You-you would have been crying right now, throwing things around or you would have been pulling Betty's hair demanding that she tells you the truth, how, when, and why. That's the Kayla I know," she told me looking at me sadly while holding my hand tightly as if I would break if she let go.

"I know right. But I have decided to forget everything now. I have decided to move on. Maybe God has better things in store for me," I smiled at her trying to assure her that I was fine. But they were all lies, the truth is I didn't feel anything anymore, the pain on my chest went away as soon as I finished screaming. I decided not to care anymore. I was becoming numb. I was more than just broke.

All that time I had hopes. Hope that Betty was going through something and that it would soon end and then we would go back to how we were. Hope that Luke had a reason to tell me that and maybe deep down he liked me back. But it was gone, the hope was all gone. It didn't matter anymore. There was no going back.