Chapter 38: In-Laws

Chapter Thirty-Eight

IN-LAWS

Amy rushed downstairs – as fast as she could, given she was over eight months pregnant now – when she heard the garage door open and Matthew’s car pull in.

            “Never mind the bags, I want to see your new house.” Amy smiled; Matthew’s mother was as bossy as ever. She emerged in the hallway moments later, Matthew two steps behind her.

            “Amy, darling!” she beamed, stepping forward to embrace Amy. “My new grandbaby’s so big!”

            Amy beamed, rubbing her large belly. “Only three weeks to go. How have you been, Julia? It’s so nice of you to come out.”

            “How could I not see my beautiful daughter-in-law before she has her baby? You two’ll be so busy I won’t have a chance to see you otherwise.”

            “Thanks, again, Mom,” Matthew murmured, setting his mother’s bags down in the hallway by the garage door.

            Julia took a deep, relaxing breath. “It’s good to get away from it all, too. Even just for a few days.”

            Amy saw Matthew hide his sad frown; Julia was referring to the negative press attention following the finalisation of her and Johnathan’s divorce. The divorce had took its toll on Matthew, which was only increased by the constant press.

            “Well, we’re glad to have you,” Amy said, hoping to lighten the mood. “Would you like a tour?”

            “Oh, please,” Julia beamed. “I want to see my grandbaby’s room Matthew was telling me all about.”

            Amy smiled and proceeded to lead her mother-in-law up the stairs, Matthew following casually with Julia’s luggage, which he deposited in the spare bedroom. When he joined his mother and Amy in his daughter’s bedroom, they were already in deep discussion.

            “No, but I want you to have it,” Julia was insisting. “Yani has one, too. They’re for my wonderful daughters-in-law who have blessed me with grandchildren. Please, take it.”

            Amy was speechless.

            “What’s going on?” Matthew asked.

            “I’m giving Amy some family heirlooms,” Julia explained with a smile, beckoning her son closer. “These were my mother’s,” she said, indicating the designer jewellery box that Amy was nervously holding. Seated in the satin cushions were various pieces of stunning jewellery – a gold emerald ring, a silver sapphire pendant necklace with matching earrings, and a pink pearl necklace with matching bracelet and earrings. “She got them from her mother. This was my grandmother’s wedding ring,” Julia gently touched the gold emerald ring.

            “This is too much,” Amy said weakly, barely able to construct verbal language.

            “You don’t have to wear them if you don’t want to,” Julia insisted. “Just hold onto them, and hand them down to your daughters. It’s what I’d have done, but I was only blessed with sons, so I’m handing them down to my daughters-in-law.”

            “That’s beautiful, Mom,” Matthew said softly.

            Julia beamed. “I’ve been waiting for the day that I could finally give these to you, Amy. I was going to give them to you when you married, but I wanted to wait until you had children of your own. I did the same for Yani. Thank you,” she leaned forward and hugged Amy, pecking her cheek, “for being a wonderful blessing to this family.”