Chapter 13: Observations

Chapter Thirteen

OBSERVATIONS

April

The month of March proved a sensitive time for Matthew and Amy. They remained at home the whole time, with visitors coming on the weekends to help out with Amy’s recovery. These visits were as casual as possible in an attempt to show Amy that they were each living their normal routine, and that Amy should do the same.

                And this (along with Amy’s fortnightly therapy sessions, each of which leaving her red-eyed and emotional) proved to bring a change in Amy. She would involve herself in conversations, offering her thoughts and opinions when they were necessary, even asking questions. She even showed her first genuine smile at the sight of her nephews.

                Amy had answered the door, and Peter and Sam had raced towards her ahead of their parents, Allison and Jackson. Amy had smiled widely, leaning down to embrace them both, kissing their cheeks and ignoring their embarrassed protests. Matthew, Allison and Jackson had meanwhile shared a look of disbelief and hope.

                The first time that Matthew and Amy left the house was on a weekend in early April, for a birthday barbeque get-together for Spencer. Donna had insisted to Matthew that Amy was ready, and he eventually agreed, though was greatly nervous in the lead up.

                “Are you ready to go?” Matthew asked Amy as she finished writing Spencer’s birthday card.

                “Yeah, just let me grab my jacket,” she replied, handing Matthew the sealed card before dashing to her bedroom.

                She returned moments later and met Matthew at the door, his keys and the potato salad readily at hand. It was clear that he was stressed about Amy’s outing.

                “Relax,” she told him with a smile, leaning up to peck his lips. “I’m okay, I promise.”

                The one thing Matthew didn’t like about the passive approach was the fact that Amy was openly the one to blame, and the psychologist somewhat encouraged this. Matthew did not agree that this was right – it led Amy to talk about herself as though she was a fragile, damaged and neglected soul. This was wrong, and highly unethical in Matthew’s eyes, but Amy seemed to thrive from it, and it was evident that she was stronger. But there surely must have been another method that would bring about her recovery.

                “Alright,” he said with a false smile, kissing her in return.

                They then headed out the door to the car, and Matthew began the drive to Donna and Spencer’s home. Amy smiled at the landscape that they passed, admiring the trees and the people adorning the streets and public parks. When they arrived, Matthew hesitated about exiting the car.

                “What’s wrong?” Amy asked.

                Matthew sighed before answering, “If it gets to be… too much in there, just tell me, and we’ll go home.”

                Amy smiled and retrieved the card and potato salad. “It’s only Donna and Spencer. I can handle those two. And stop worrying.”

                Matthew then followed Amy out the car. They walked to the front door and were greeted warmly by a bubbly Donna, who embraced the both of them. Donna put the salad in the fridge whilst Amy raced outside to Spencer, hugging him in front of his family and friends.

Recovering Amy (Amy, #2)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें