Chapter 29: Hesitation

Chapter Twenty-Nine

HESITATION

“You know, this would be a whole lot easier if we knew if Squish was a boy or a girl.”

            “Amy, I wan’t-”

            “I know, I know.” Amy sighed. “You want it to be a surprise. But, really, it will still be a surprise if the doctor told us as the next ultrasound. Why does the surprise have to be at the birth?”

            “It just does. Now, which dresser do you think?”

            “The white one. It’s pretty for a girl, yet has room for car stickers if it’s a boy.”

            Matthew rolled his eyes. “The white one it is, then. What about the crib? Did-”

            “For the hundredth time, Matt, it’s a cot. Squish will be a very confused child.”

            “But dearly loved,” Matthew justified. He put his arm around Amy as they moved on to the next section of the baby furniture shop. “What about this cot,” he emphasised, nodding towards a dark wooden one. “This looks pretty neutral.”

            Amy raised her eyebrow at him incredulously. “Are you serious? This cot screams ‘girl’.”

            “It does?”

            “Yes. And that one over there is for a boy.” She then proceeded to address each of the cots in the row. “Boy, boy, girl, boy, girl, girl, girl, girl, boy. There is no such thing as neutral baby furniture. I say we’re told the sex at the next ultrasound, then we can go shopping for this stuff.”

            Matthew gritted his teeth. “I want to get everything done before I leave, and I want it to be a surprise.”

            “But I don’t. I want to know. Why do you get what you want all the time? It’s not fair.”

            “Why are you being so rude to me?” Matthew hissed. “You’re never like this, not even when you’re PMS-ing at your worst. Blame it on the pregnancy if you like, but you’re not being you, and it’s not fair.”

            Amy was taken aback. Was she really being rude?

            “But I don’t want to argue about this now,” Matthew continued, taking a deep breath. “We’ll leave the crib and dresser until another day. Let’s get the other stuff and go.”

            They made their way through the store once more, barely speaking a word to one another as they selected a car seat, change table, high chair and a pram. They then made their way home in a similar scene of silence.

            “Look, I’m sorry that I snapped at you the way I did. I shouldn’t have done it,” Matthew said as they pulled into their garage.

            “I didn’t realise I was being rude. Sorry. I just get frustrated with this whole thing.”

            “I think it would be all the more special if the sex was left a surprise.”

            “I have to disagree with you,” Amy said quietly. “If we knew the sex, we could figure out a name – if we had to do both a boy and a girl name, one of them won’t be used. It’ll be like expecting two, but only getting one.”

            “Then we can leave the name until after the birth,” Matthew compromised. “We can announce it at the Christening.”

            “I don’t want to have a nameless child. That’s not fair.”