Chapter 09: His Burning Desire

Chapter Nine

HIS BURNING DESIRE

“Do you wanna get changed into your PJs?”

                Amy shook her head, looking down at her feet crossed before her lap. Donna hovered over her left shoulder whilst Yani was in the kitchen, making fruit smoothies. Both of them had already changed into their pyjamas, ones that were almost identical to those they wore during high school.

                “Alright, you can pick the movie then,” Donna said enthusiastically. We’ve got the classics – Mean Girls, Clueless, Legally Blonde, and anything with Hilary Duff.

                Amy stayed silent for a moment, watching the pink DVD cases being thrust before her. “I don’t care,” she mumbled, almost incoherently.

                “I vote Mean Girls!” Yani called loudly from the kitchen, having to speak over the loud blender.

                “Mean Girls it is,” Donna chirped, taking the DVDs away from Amy. She got up and went to the television, setting up their favourite chick flick from their teenage years.

                Amy pulled the doona up around her, wishing for nothing but sleep. It was not even eight o’clock in the evening, but she was drained and exhausted. She wanted sleep, but with her desired sleep, she wished that she would never wake the following morning.

                Yani and Donna joined Amy beneath the doonas. Yani brought down a large bowl of popcorn and handed Amy a strawberry smoothie, but Amy put it aside, having no intention whatsoever of consuming it. The movie began, but they did not become silent. Donna and Yani laughed and giggled, trying to get Amy to join in, but they were unsuccessful. Amy gave a smile here and there at their request, but they were not genuine. She did it for their sake.

                Amy’s thoughts were preoccupied with figuring out the promise she’d made to her father and what Matthew was doing at this point. She was so absorbed in her thoughts that she did not notice Donna and Yani’s nervous silence at the line “Don’t have sex, because you will get pregnant, and die.” It had been funny ten years ago, but now its significance hit home with truth.

                *             *             *

“Hello?”

                “Hey, Mom. Just calling to wish you a happy birthday.”

                “Thank you, Matthew.”

                “I only sent your gift a couple days ago, but it’ll be there soon.”

                “You don’t have to worry about that, Matthew. But thank you.”

                Matthew stood silence for a moment, his attention divided between his mother and Amy. It was his mother who broke the momentary silence.

                “Are you doing okay? Jacob told us about Amy – is she alright?”

                “Well, she’s alive. And that’s all that I can ask for at this stage.”

                “Oh, sweetie,” Julia Hamilton said with genuine concern. “Your father and I are thinking of you both.”

                “Thank you. She’ll come through.”