𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨

Start from the beginning

Jax remained in his position, giving her an unimpressed look. He stayed quiet for a while and Lydia was growing impatient before he eventually spoke up.

"I want a lawyer."

"Downworlders don't get a lawyer," Lydia stated.

"Is that so? Then maybe the Clave should take notes from the mundane government. Sure, they came up with a lot of bullshit but at least they treat people equally and respect their rights." Jax thought about it for a moment, then added, "Well, most of the time at least."

He leaned forward in his seat. "Now let me ask you this, envoy from the Clave. What's the point in creating the Accords when Shadowhunters still look down upon Downworlders?"

Lydia just narrowed his eyes at the werewolf, not appreciating the way he was talking to her but she didn't want to give in to his provocations either. He was trying to rile her up, make her emotions get the better of her, but she would not allow it.

"He has a point," Meliorn spoke up, gaining both of their attention. "It shouldn't matter what blood you have. If your people could understand and respect that then maybe the Uprising wouldn't have happened in the first place. If only shadowhunters had a better relationship with us, Downworlders," he gestures towards himself and Jax. "You'd know that Valentine's daughter has the Cup.

"Dude!" Jax exclaimed, sitting up straight so fast that he nearly toppled over to the ground. He glared at Meliorn, "You're not supposed to say that!"

"Well you two sure have your way with words," Lydia smirked, pleased at the newfound information. "But at least we still got the answers out of you."

"You're never going to get the Cup. It's not safe with the Clave, you're just going to screw us over!"

Lydia sent him a glare, "You should know better than to speak to me that way."

"I don't care. You're just an envoy. You're not the head of this Institute," he hissed, glaring right back at her.

She shrugged, "Not yet at least. But after the wedding, this Institute is gong to be mine and my husband's to lead."

"Valentine is out there somewhere and you're busy organzing your wedding?" he scoffed. "Who's the unlucky groom?"

Lydia raised an eyebrow at him. "I'm surprised he hasn't told you yet."

"Who? And tell me what?" he demanded.

"Alec and I are getting married."

• • •

Jax and Meliorn were later then moved into a holding cell as Lydia and several other guards left to go look for the Cup. Things were silent between them, the werewolf still trying to grasp the fact that the love his life was about to get married-and to a woman at that. Meanwhile the Seelie didn't really know how to comfort him.

"You love him, don't you? The Lightwood boy," Meliorn spoke up, glancing at the werewolf.

"I don't see how any of that matters right now."

"Oh but it does. Because from what I heard from Isabelle, he loves you too," he said but Jax only chuckled humorlessly.

"Even if he does, that's just another sad truth in life, isn't it? That so many people are in love and not together, and so many people are together and not in love," he sighed.