Russia // Grass & Sunflowers

Y/n is a free country, and had always been since the very beginning. Everyone loved them, mostly because Y/n never quarreled or caused unnecessary drama. (He/She) was always happy and good-spirited. Ivan could never comprehend how.

He always watched (him/her) from afar, in awe at how someone could be so... perfect. Y/n would sometimes catch his glance and smile at him, while he blushed profusely, covering his face with his scarf.

Little did he know that Y/n also found him very interesting. (He/She) would always ask other countries about him, and the responses were mostly harsh and crude. So, Y/n finally asked his sister, Katerina. She was super sweet and said the Ivan was really kind and good-hearted; he just didn't know how to show it. Y/n decided to try and talk to him.

🌼Ivan's POV🌼

It was another boring world meeting, boring because Y/n hadn't arrived yet to brighten up the room with (his/her) smile. I sighed and placed my head on my hand.
That was until I heard the doors open, revealing Y/n, beautiful as always. I saw her smile at me and walk towards me. I was in complete shock. She usually sat by Elizabeta or Antonio, why she was coming this way I had no idea.

"Hey there Ivan! We've never officially met. I'm Y/n and it's a pleasure to meet you." Y/n held out (his/her) hand and I shook it kindly. I smiled at (him/her). Y/n was so pretty.
"Hello there Y/n, beautiful day isn't it?" I said awkwardly, why did I choose that to talk about? Well, it's not like I could have brought up my undying love for (him/her).
"Oh it is gorgeous outside!" Y/n said as she sat down next to me, "on the way here I saw the absolute cutest family of ducks. I was so in awe that I ended up being late. Well, I guess some things have to be prioritized."
The fact that Y/n prioritized a family of ducks over a world meeting made me fall in love even more.

We ended up talking for the entire meeting, since everyone else was creating chaos as usual. Towards the end, Arthur stood up and blew a horn, causing everyone to look at him.
"Attention everyone, I'm sure as most of you know, I am hosting a ball this afternoon. Everyone is invited! Please dress elegantly, the reason I say this is that last year I didn't specify and someone showed up in an eagle suit."
Alfred and Mathias high fives across the room.

Arthur sat down and Y/n turned and looked at me excitedly.
"Oh I just Love elegant events. Getting all dressed up fancy and drinking champagne in the moonlight of a balcony overlooking the glorious display of gowns and tuxes, I just can't wait! Are you going Ivan?"

I was so absorbed in her words that I almost forgot to respond. I hadn't planned on going, but now that Y/n said (he/she) is going, I definitely am.

"Of course! I wouldn't miss it for the world!" I smiled. Y/n smiled back widely and was about to say something when Alfred called (him/her) from across the room.
"Well thank you Ivan for this wonderful time. I'm so glad I got to know you more! I can't wait to see you tonight." And with that, she ran off towards Alfred. I couldn't wait for tonight.

🌼Timeskip🌼

I arrived at the venue and looking around at the multitude of countries in front of me. I looked around for Y/n and finally found (him/her) talking to someone. (He/She) saw me and ran over excitedly. My jaw dropped at the beauty in front of me.

"Good evening Ivan! You look fantastic on this beautiful night." Y/n said as (he/she) curtsied.
"The night doesn't compare to your beauty, it is like comparing a piece of grass to a wild sunflower." I couldn't help myself but say what's in my mind. Y/n smiled.
"But even grass is as wild and free as a sunflower, if even more so. If I were to be called grass I would be just as joyful as being called a sunflower, for in my eyes, freedom is beauty. Even if I am just grass."
I was amazed at her witty response. I fell in love with every word she said.

We danced the night away, never leaving each other's side, and it was the best night of my life.

🌼🌿🌼
A/n henlo everyone! I really love this piece, it has to be my favorite fic I've ever written. And of course it's about my beautiful son Ivan.