Chapter 12

The Team stood stone faced as they watched their mentors be defeated by an alien invasion. It was hard to watch, but they were okay. They knew this was just a training exercise. It was designed to show them what would have to be done if the League was ever defeated.

Red Tornado left to assist the League and the team waited. Artemis sighed "You guys ready?"

Wally smirked "Chill out Arty! What's the worst that can happen?" Wally would later regret that statement.

A few minutes later Red Tornado radioed the team. "I fear that I am the last of the League. If I..." suddenly the feed was cut off and they all knew why.

Aqualad stood in front of them "We are Earth's heroes now..."

~time skip~

The team's first course of action was to get some of the alien's weapons so that they could use them against them. They traveled to Superman's Fortress of Solitude; a lone ship had landed there because of the structure's power source. Connor, to say the least, was a bit miffed to find that his "dad" had a secrete lair that he hadn't told him about. He'd have to ask Superman about that when all this was over.

Once at the Fortress, the team snuck up on the ship. They were able to cutoff communications and seal the door with ease. They were in the middle of removing the canon when things started to go wrong. Superboy was holding up the canon as Robin hacked into it. Suddenly Wulf knocked him off and he was destroyed in a blast of light.

"I'm sorry..." Robin hung his head and looked at Superboy "I saw no sign of resistance..."

"It's not your fault..." he said glumly then went back to taking off the canon.

Megan was in the middle of attaching the canon to the bioship when more aliens arrived. The bioship was unable to function while the canon was being attached so the team had to improvise.

Artemis caused a distraction while the rest of the team got into the bioship. She took out two ships with her arrows and it looked like she was in the clear. Unfortunately, she had not did disable the canon of one of the ships. She turned around seconds two late, and disappeared in a blast of light.

Megan let out a blood curdling scream and instantly a wave of emotion was sent throughout the rest of the team. They forgot why they were there. They forgot that this was only an exercise. All of that was thrown out the window as Megan continued to cry out Artemis' name. None of them realized that this had ever not been real. They now believed that they were they only heroes left. And they had just lost a teammate.

In a fit of rage the team brutally finished off the rest of the ships around the Fortress. They then got into the bioship and took off.

Everyone was in shock. Megan was sitting at the helm while Wally was slamming his fists onto the chair. Connor was angry and Kaldur tried to think of the words he could say to encourage the team. This just left Robin. To the rest of the team it looked like he was just going over battle strategies on his hologlove. But that wasn't it.

What they couldn't see was the picture that lit up his screen. A boy with black hair had his arm wrapped around a blonde girl with a pony tail. The boy had a big grin on his face as the girl just stared at him confused. In the background a red headed girl had a hand over her mouth to keep herself from laughing. A tear slipped under his mask. That was Robin's favorite picture...

"Enough." Robin quickly wiped the moisture from his cheeks as he turned to Kaldur. "There will be time to mourn later. We are Earth's heroes now. We cannot let Artemis' sacrifice be in vain. Let's go to the Hall of Justice. We need to let the world know that there are still heroes out there." This short speech got the team fired up again. They had a purpose again.