Chapter Eight.

The next few days came with a feeling of uneasiness. Ever since I'd come to terms with myslef, I felt a little bit out of the group. While they all talked and laughed at lunch, I sat and mindlessly played with my food, not really eating much for one reason or another. Max was in the middle of some dramatised story about this phone conversation with the Farro brothers earlier in the day, confirming everything for the show the next night, when the bell rang, signifying that Josh and I had English, while the rest of the group had Physics. After abruptly finishing his story, Max led the way to their class, while Josh and I lingered at the table for a moment. Our class was only a minute away from the lunch tables anyway.

Once the rest of our friends were out of sight, Josh scooted his bum in a half circle to face me head-on. He brought a cool hand to my cheek and brushed his fingers against it lightly, a trace of a frown on his lips the whole time. "Arianne, is everything alright? I've hardly heard a peep from you the past few days."

I wanted so badly to spil, to tell him everything that had been bothering me for those days, to tell him about the message I almost sent him, but I couldn't. I wasn't ready, and if I wasn't ready, he surely wasn't. I placed my hand on top of his on my cheek before cradling it between both of my palms, holding it to my chest, and bending my head down to kiss it, holding back melodramatic tears all the while.

"It's nothing, Joshy, I promise," I lied, using his cutesy nickname to solidify my false point. "I just haven't been feeling that well. I think I'm coming down with something."

Josh's frown only deepened. "Well, your cheeks are burning up. Come on, back up to the dorm, I'll take care of you. Don't want you to be sick for the show tomorrow, yeah?"

The thought of the show actually did make me feel quite ill, come to think of it, but I plastered on a fake smile because I knew Josh was excited as hell. He stood up first, extending a hand to help me. I took it, gingerly toying around with his fingers as he lifted me and we walked quietly back up the staircase. He muttered something about how badly the school needed an elevator, sort of a half-apology for making me climb the stairs while "sick", but I didn't really respond. This seemed to bother him, and he frowned down at me. I tried to ignore the sadness on his face, but it was difficult. The way his clear blue eyes sparkled with sympathy made me want to spill my guts to him, but I held back, especially when a shrill voice filled both of our ears.

"Mr. Franceschi, Miss Edison, where do you think you're going?"

Josh furrowed his eyebrows together in annoyance, while I rolled my eyes and sighed deeply. We often had our moments where we wanted to bother the living shit out of our Nazi of a headmistress, but this was surely not one of those moments. I let go of Josh's hand and we both turned around to see Price fuming. One of her bony hands was raised, pointing a skeletal finger to the two of us, and the obscenely tight bun on the top of her head seemed to be tugging her grimace to one of horror movie proportions.

"Why would we tell you? You're going to think we're lying anyway, you always do," Josh shot at her, eyes now narrowed and dark.

This sent Price into a rage. "Mister Franceschi, this attitude of yours will get you nowhere! I think you owe me both an apology and the real reason the two of you are ditching class."

"Fine, I'm sorry that my best friend is sick and shouldn't be alone, and I'm just so sorry that you're so suspicious of everything we do," Josh growled. "Now can I please take the poor girl back to her dorm without your usual yelling and punishing?"

Price just dropped her arms to her sides. She seemed to be unsure of what to say, so she just rolled her baggy eyes. Sometimes I felt bad for her, having to put up with a school full of kids, especially us, but any shred of sympathy I had was gone when she turned her attention to me and sneered a blunt, "Well, I'll believe you for the fact that she's looking worse than usual," as if I wasn't insecure enough.

I wanted to punch her in her ugly, wrinkly, middle-aged face, but I refrained. With every word flying, I actually was beginning to feel sick. I brought a hand to my forehead and nudged Josh in the ribs with my elbow, signifying that I really wanted to get back to my room. He obliged, but not before sending Price his coldest glare.

"I'm sorry, Lola, what she said was completely uncalled for," Josh said softly as we stepped into the dorm. He guided me to my bed and pulled the covers over my body before bending over to kiss my forehead. "I think you're beautiful, sick or not."

I smiled at him, taking his warm hand and not letting go, though I knew he wanted to stand up to further aid me. I didn't want to stop, though, and he soon realized this and relaxed his body next to mine. He kissed my lips quickly, and his kisses trailed down my jawline, chin, and neck before I couldn't handle it anymore. My eyes filled with tears and I turned over so my back was facing him. I didn't want him to see me cry.

"Sorry," Josh said softly, and I could feel his nose graze the top of my back through my sweater as he shook his head. "Is everything okay, love?"

I wiped my eyes hastily and rolled back over so I could look at him. "Yeah, I just... I don't know."

"Is this about what we talked about the other day? Because you know I'd never forget you. You're the only girl I want to be with, I can promise you this a thousand times." He propped himself up on his elbow. "Or is this about what I just-- Because I really am sorry about that. I know you want to wait. I just kind of let my lips take over and--"

I shook my head and pressed my right index finger to his lips to shush him. "It's not that one. I mean, I'm ready, just... not when I'm feeling down. It may, however, partially be the first one."

Josh's eyes turned sad. "Lola, you know I adore you to absolute pieces. It's just one show, and besides, I'd never forget the most beautiful girl I know because of some crazy fangirls."

While his words made me feel a little better, I still didn't feel right. "But we're in such a bubble here. What if some fantastically beautiful girl comes up to you and--"

Josh just chuckled and kissed my forehead again. "Even if Hayley Williams herself drops her knickers and screams 'Josh, get inside of me!', I'd never leave you."